Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Truly random bets

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before...

I'm a weak player, and I'm trying to improve my bubble/HU results. One of my many leaks is that I suspect my hands are easily read from my betting patterns. Since I'm not savvy/smart enough to outplay my opponents by manipulating bet sizes, I wonder whether making truly random bets in some situations might actually be an improvement.

The idea would be that I'd decide whether to play a hand PF by considering all the usual criteria such as strength of my hand, position, stack sizes relative to blinds, etc. If that decision is "yes," then I'd use the output from a random number generator to decide the bet/raise amount, say from limping/calling to 5xBB. If the result is 40% or more (or whatever) of my stack, then I go all-in. At least this way there would be no correlation between the amount I bet and the strength of my hand.

I also wonder how this would be received in a live tournament. I could bring along a die, and announce to my table in advance how the amount I bet will be correlated to the number which appears when I roll the die. (Would this be allowed?) Then my opponents would know they couldn't put me on a certain range of hands based on whether I limp or make a big raise.