Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Texas vs Texas A&M WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

The anouncers don't get it, and clearly neither do I.

Texas blocked a punt and ran it in the endzone while down 13-6.

With the score then 13-12, Texas's point after was flubbed and kicked towards the endzone. A&M recovers in the endzone and then fumbles. Texas recovers in the endzone for what is kind of like a pseudo-safety, or another touchdown [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

And somehow, they get 1 point. Huh?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Explained...

As I was finishing the last mesasge, they explained it. Anything that would normally be considered a safety (which that debacle was) that occurs on an extra point play is awarded one point not two.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Texas vs Texas A&M WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

I only saw on replay of the play later on, so I may not have seen this right, but it looks to me like on a normal play this would be a touchback. I don't see how that should be worth any points.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:10 PM

I think what they say happened is:
<ul type="square">[*]A&amp;M "blocks" the kick (although a squirrel could have blocked that kick [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )[*]A&amp;M then picks up the ball outside of the end zone, thus establishing posession.[*]The ball is still live, since in college you can return a PAT try for 2 pts.[*]A&amp;M then loses possession of the ball, it goes into the endzone and is recovered by A&amp;M.[*]Because they established possession outside of the endzone, it cannot be ruled a touchback; it's therefore a safety.[/list]As JBB said, on a PAT try, the safety only counts as a single point (not sure why though, since the kicking team has the opportunity to score 2 pts by getting into the endzone so it's not like they're being rewarded by getting extra, unavailable pts...)
Old 11-26-2004, 11:12 PM

isn't this kinda like if you intercept the ball when the other team is going for 2? if you run it back to your endzone, you get 2 points.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Obscure football rules . . .

One thing that no one knows, or at least ever does:
On a PAT attempt that is unsuccessful, the defense has the option of taking a kick off or the result of the play. For example, if A&amp;M blocked the PAT, and returned it to the end zone, it would be 2 points and they would receive the kick off, but if the defender, realizing a possible +EV opportunity (depends on the strength of your offense), stepped out of bounds at the Texas 1 yard line, they would be given the option of taking the ball at the Texas 1 with First and Goal to go, or having Texas kick off. No one knows this.

The other obscure rule is that if there a punt on the final play of a quarter (any quarter) and the receiving team calls for a fair catch, they are awarded a free kick (may place the ball on the tee, no snap, no opponent rush) for a FG. I have seen this once in the NFL.

When I was a football coach, we used to practice putting 3 punt returners back to call fair catch, because even a high school kid can make a 55+ yard field goal from a tee with no rush.

Also, if you drop kick a PAT (let the ball bounce then kick it) that's good for 2 points, if I remember correctly. We used to try and do that, but a football is just not designed to be bounced with any kind of predictability.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Obscure football rules . . .

Not to be a dillsner, but...

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that no one knows, or at least ever does:
On a PAT attempt that is unsuccessful, the defense has the option of taking a kick off or the result of the play. For example, if A&amp;M blocked the PAT, and returned it to the end zone, it would be 2 points and they would receive the kick off, but if the defender, realizing a possible +EV opportunity (depends on the strength of your offense), stepped out of bounds at the Texas 1 yard line, they would be given the option of taking the ball at the Texas 1 with First and Goal to go, or having Texas kick off. No one knows this.

[/ QUOTE ]

NCAA Football Rulebook, Rule 8-3, Article 6:

"After a try, the ball shall be put in play by a kickoff or at the succeeding spot in extra periods. The team scoring the six-point touchdown shall kick off."

Rulebook link

Nothing about taking the ball at the result of the try.

Also, the free kick at the end of the half is only a rule in the NFL. It was placed there 5 years or so ago, and nobody seems to know why. It's not the rule in college ball.

Drop-kicking is also not worth any extra points. I think it might be in the Arena League and the CFL, but not in the NFL or NCAA.

I have no idea what the rules are for high school ball these days, so you may be right about that.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:06 AM

The fair catch kick (FCK) can be attempted on ANY fair catch. It's just that the end of the half is the only time anyone would want to atempt it. I don't know if this rule is only an NFL rule, but I do know that it has been in place for a long time. (Though they may have recently altered the rule to allow a FCK after time has expired for a half, I don't know.)
Old 11-27-2004, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fair catch kick (FCK) can be attempted on ANY fair catch. It's just that the end of the half is the only time anyone would want to atempt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Fair Catch Kick rule

The free kick can only be taken if time has expired. From the language I would assume this applies to the end of the quarter as well as the end of the half.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fair catch kick (FCK) can be attempted on ANY fair catch. It's just that the end of the half is the only time anyone would want to atempt it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope.

Fair Catch Kick rule

The free kick can only be taken if time has expired. From the language I would assume this applies to the end of the quarter as well as the end of the half.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope
The Real Fair Catch Kick rule

(Note the language about when to start the clock.)

The link you refered me to state that the kick MAY be taken if time expires. Not ONLY if time expired.

I agree that it appears that this provision aplies th the end of a quarter as well as the half.