Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Bellagio 50/100: Biggest laydown in my life, Idiot or Genius?

I played this hand last night in a full 50/100 stud high game at Bellagio. The structure is $10 BI, $15 ante. All players except for the bring-in are tight, passive, 70-year-old's. The bring-in is about 40 and just sat down at the table on my right w/ about 100,000 in 100's and seems to be very aggressive. I had only played at the table for a couple hours, so I didn't have any particularly good reads on any of the players, other than the general profile I gave. My image was very fast and aggressive, and I had been showing down and winning with many big hands (rolled 3s, pocket As).

Here is the hand as best I can remember it:

3rd: A 2 brings it in on my right, and I raise with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and an 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] doorcard. There is 1 dead 7, a 9 and no other higher cards behind me. A 4 and a 5 call behind, everyone else folds, the bring-in reraises, and we all call.

4th: Everyone besides me pairs their doorcards, and I catch the case 7. The 5s check, the 2s check, I bet $100, the 4s raise, the 5s cold calls $200, the 2s fold, I 3-bet, the 4s call, and then the 5s 4-bet. I ask the 5s if he "has quads or something" and he give me a small grin. The cap in the game is 5 bets, but I just call the 4-bet, as do the 4s.

5th: I catch the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the other 2 guys rag off. The 5s bet and I think for a second. I decide that the suprise 4 bet really looks like quads, but I am not sure. I decide to raise to figure out if the guy has quads or not. I resolve that if the 5 3 bets that I will fold (since I'd be drawing dead), because it seems obvious that I have trip 8s, 7s or As. So I raise, the 4s fold, and the 5s 3-bets without hesitation. I think about it for a second and throw away my hand.

What do you guys think? Did I overthink the hand? I could have just called him down, which would have cost just $300 as opposed to the raise-fold line which cost $200. I thought about this hand for about 30 minutes, so I have some more thoughts, but this is all I was thinking at the time. Any comments on any parts of the hand?

Thanks,
Carlos