Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: I found $640: now what?

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet that she didn't even tell her manager about it...she probably just pocketed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I just got off the phone with the bank manager. He said that no one has claimed the money yet, but he wants to give it a full week.

[/ QUOTE ]
EDIT: In any case, what I'm hearing is that the bank will keep it, not an individual employee. Someone stealing it I can understand. I cannot understand the corperation Bank of America keeping it. Seems like particularly horrible customer service.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got off the phone with the bank manager. He said that no one has claimed the money yet, but he wants to give it a full week.

[/ QUOTE ]
EDIT: In any case, what I'm hearing is that the bank will keep it, not an individual employee. Someone stealing it I can understand. I cannot understand the corperation Bank of America keeping it. Seems like particularly horrible customer service.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. Well I'm glad they're on the up and up so far. I just say this because one time I deposited $200 in cash in an ATM, and they didn't credit my account. It took me three trips to the branch to finally get it back.

Part of our training at my bank was learning about all the scams that employees and customers will try to pull just to get a few extra hundred dollars or so (check kiting, check forging, sham deposits, etc.) Our trainer said that, when money's tight for someone, the temptation for a bank employee to pull a scam can make even the most honest employee do something stupid. 98% of the time they get caught of course. Teller turnover is really high. As for customer service, customers make complaints all the time over much less. I'm sure that a teller or manager who would take the money isn't concerned about customer service. FWIW.

ScottieK
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM

Thats not doing the right thing though. By doing that you are trying to make it so they aren't able to claim it... and you might as well have just kept it in the first place.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:36 AM

a few comments here before I hit 100 :-p

First off, I have to congradulate the OP for taking the high moral route. After reading the revenge and the outrunning cops threads, I was wondering how many moral people were really in this part of the forum. (honestly, I prob would have kept the $)

Second off, going to the police to ask about the money situation is technically "an effort" to return it to the owner. But OBVIOUSLY is more realistic to go to the bank and ask about it.

I'm here to wish you luck. So far, you've taken the high road, so don't fall off it now. $640 is a lot of $ to be honest about, but it <u>shouldn't</u> be enough to compromise moral standards. (though the truth is, people will do worse for a lot less) At least you found an honest teller, otherwise the bank manager wouldn't have heard a thing about it. If saturday no one has claimed it, and the bank claims some crap, make sure you bring in the police. Have fun!

Crovax
Old 12-08-2005, 02:55 AM

RDH,

This is [censored] [censored]. You need to go in there and find the teller you gave it to and yell and scream until they hand it over.

anxious for resolution,
nl
Old 12-08-2005, 02:55 AM

sucks doin the right thing and getting the shaft

i wouldn't have gotten into this situation myself- since my scumbag ass probably would have just took the money home and giggled for 3 days straight.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At least you found an honest teller, otherwise the bank manager wouldn't have heard a thing about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, when I talked to the manager, he said, "Actually, I just found out about this ten minutes ago when I got your message."

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Here's how this should be handled in the future. Those with no morals just pretend you landed on Free Parking. Everyone else, go to the bank manager. Tell him/her that you found some cash in the parking lot. Give them your phone number (or email if more appropriate) and ask him to contact you if someone reports an amount lost. Of course, they need to know how much they lost and have a reasonable story. Wait one week and then head to Best Buy.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Well its Saturday. Did you get the money like you deserve?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Saturday Trip Report

I just got back from the bank. I stood in line for a teller and when it was my turn told her that I had found "over $500" on the ground, turned it in, and was here because it was still unclaimed. She gasped and said she hadn't heard about that, and that I should wait for the manager. She then added that it was incredibly honest. I knew I'd have to wait for the manager, but figured that the more people at the bank knew about the situation, the better off I'd be at this point. Each teller should be a sort of check to keep the others honest. Or so I figured.

So I talk to the manager and he recognizes my name right away. He says that it is still unclaimed, that he sent an email to his boss on Friday afternoon detailing the situation, and that he recommended I keep the money. I was incredibly relieved when he said that. He said he didn't hear back from his boss yet, but that on Monday he'd go ahead and just credit my account with the money. He added that nobody had made any sort of transaction that day that could be correlated with that amount of money, and asked me exactly how I found it. He did this in mostly a curious sort of way, and when I told him he said that it was very bizarre that someone could just drop a wad of cash like that. I agreed.

So it looks like I am going to get to keep the money. I'm definitely encouraged by the lack of duplicity on the part of the bank employees, but I also will definitely not ever turn money in again. Just leaving my name and number with the bank is a much, much better route.