Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 PM

Default How to Raise in 100NL v1.2

Thanks for the previous feedback, but I have a couple of more questions. What is AQs/os worth in terms of a raises preflop from EP/MP/LP? Against limers, min/large raisers? Additonally, but less importantly, the same question but for AKs/os and AJs/os. Im moving up limits and my biggest difficulty lies in adjusting my betting and calling, so any pointers are a big help!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: How to Raise in 100NL v1.2

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the previous feedback, but I have a couple of more questions. What is AQs/os worth in terms of a raises preflop from EP/MP/LP? Against limers, min/large raisers? Additonally, but less importantly, the same question but for AKs/os and AJs/os. Im moving up limits and my biggest difficulty lies in adjusting my betting and calling, so any pointers are a big help!

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, it seems like you are a bit timid. For that reason I would tend to limp both AQ and AJ and play them very straight forward in EP. In MP, raise. In LP, raise. Raise AK always. Bet the flop unless you have a ton of callers.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 AM

I always raise AQs 4x (same as AKo/AKs) from any position. I always raise AQo/AJs/KQs 4x from MP1 onwards. Have had good results with it, but you can get into trouble if you're not careful. When I was starting out it was definitely -EV, I'm only just getting comfortable with it now.

Against smaller raisers, I'll call/reraise AQs+ but dump AJs/os most of the time. Big raisers I'm dumping any non-pair including AK.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:16 AM

It really depends on the type of game you are sitting in. In I'm sitting in a game with a few good aggressive players behind me, I'm mucking AJo from EP and maybe just getting rid of AQo as well.

In a game with alot of bad players I still don't like raising AJo from EP, but I'm raising AQo all day long.

This is somewhat oversimplified, but basically what I'm saying is I am not someone who thinks you should have a standard set of preflop starting hand specifications/raising standards regardless of the type of game you are sitting in.

I would say the 100 games vary enough table to table to make this advice worthwhile.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:49 PM

I think limping AQ in EP is good, or limping behind other limpers when you're in MP or LP. If you get to open in MP or LP, come in for a raise. Limping in EP will let in weaker aces, and keep the pot small. Keeping the pot small with this type of hand is good, because you're mainly hoping to make one pair and have someone else outkicked. One pair hands are very difficult to play if the pot is big. The increased pot size is going to make your opponents more aggressive, and increase the possibility of you getting bluffed or semibluffed off the best hand. This is infinitly more relevant when you're out of position, which is what makes limping AQ in EP so attractive. This is true as well with AK in EP. AJo can be mucked in EP, but AJs is good for a limp.

When you're in LP, you should be thinking about using your position more than just what the actual value of your hand is. The value of position is often going to be greater than the value of your cards or your opponents. This will take some time to learn, but being able to see when your opponents are weak and how much pressure they are willing to withstand is going to be very important. It's good though to start out with general guidelines of how to bet hands, which is what you're trying to get at with this post.

Like I said, come in for a raise if you get to open with AJ-AK in LP. But realize that you can do this with almost any two cards. What's often going to happen is that one of the blinds will defend, they'll check it to you on the flop, you'll bet and take it down.

I like to have a standard raise that I'm going to make with all my hands, from AA to 56s. AQo would be in there too. In tournaments this will often be 3xBB, in cash games I like 4xBB.

colson10