Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Default When to move up limits

Assuming you have the proper bankroll (20x max buy-in), what kind of when rate over what number of hands indicates that you are ready to take a stab at the next level?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: When to move up limits

I've been wondering the same thing, as I have nearly reached the point at which moving up seems to be the best thing to do. I mean the best thing to do in terms of both furthering my skill and increasing my BR. However, there is quite a difference of opinion in both the print world and the electronic as to what the best indicators are of a readiness to make such a move. What I have found is that there are no clear cut indicators, beyond what your bankroll should look like. Generally speaking, you should move up when you think you are ready, when you are finding yourself to be the best player at any of the tables that you sit at at your level, or at least within the top three. Additionally, you should move up if there really isn't anything to learn where you are at, that is to say, you don't find yourself being confronted with any difficult decisions anymore and it is all straight forward. Remember though, 25NL is the best training ground for the fundamental concepts, and I wouldn't move up until you really are confident that you not only understand them, but can competently apply them. Reference Ed Miller's new book, and Skalansky's books for further direction.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:44 AM

I suggest you don't look at "moving up" as a permanent thing. Aren't you going to move back down at some point if you feel like you can't hack the next limit up? What about if you are not sure if you can hack it but the larger bet sizes are somewhat unsettling and you loose 4 buy in's your first day?

I suggest looking at moving up in stakes as a transitional thing. I would also suggest you don't need to be "properly bankrolled". For example, you could set aside a couple of buy ins or so to test yourself out at the next level up. Also, my understanding is that the 20 buy in figure is for a winning player. Until you move up you do not know if you will be a winning player there.

I guess my main point is that there is not one hard and fast rule about moving up. Just like there is not one hard and fast rule about bankroll. I personally like to have 40-50 buy ins because it is more psychologically comfortable for me.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:38 PM

Whenever you feel like it. Take a stab, if they are too mean you just step back down again.

If you're not living on your poker winnings and just want to have fun you should read the article in the latest 2+2 magazine about Kelly betting and poker. (It's illustrated with fixed limit, but you can do the math for yourself.)
Old 07-02-2005, 01:25 PM

I seem to be in the minority here, but I think 20X buy-in is high. I'm looking to move up to 50NL and I think 8-12X buy-in is sufficient. I targeted 10X and my BR is now just under $500. I've been playing about 1 out of 10 sessions at the higher limit to get used to it.

When I move to $50NL, I plan to stay. I would, however, drop down temporarily for for two reasons.
1) I'm getting a bad run of varience and want to minimize my losses a bit. This is more a confidence issue than a money issue.
2) I've lost more than 6X buy-in. I will drop down and rebuild. (and maybe re-examine my game [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] )

IMO, there are a slightly higher % of better players in $50NL, but there seems to be fish a plenty! We will see if I am right when I begin to play $50 regularly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 01:40 PM

I think 20xbuyin is minimum bankroll for NL (ok maybe for 25NL you dont need so much).
I am winning player at 200NL (12.79PTBB/100 after 10k hands). And I had 9xbuyin downswing recently and a few 5xbuyins. I play 200NL for not longer than 1.5months. I think that losing half of your bankroll is very difficult to bear and would force almost anybody to move down. Moving down is bad for your morale and motivation so I think that first bankroll then moving up strategy is better than "taking stabs" with 10buyins.

Best wishes
Old 07-02-2005, 02:31 PM

I think comfort and bankroll are the best ways to move up....just do it..don't wait till you're winning exactly 7.8965999 BB/hr.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:20 AM

I thought 10 max buy ins was fine for a few months. Then one day I took a couple of bad beats and ran into a few powerhouse hands (set over set/nut flush vs str8 flush), and I found my selve down 1K. I play 200 NL, and I have bumped my banroll up to 4000 after that.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:42 PM

when the money at your present limit bores you and you can afford it