Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2003, 06:21 PM

Default anyone recommend a good stat /probability program?

especially a free one but also relatively cheap ones?
thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: anyone recommend a good stat /probability program?

I found one that I think is really cool - but I can't speak to it's accuracy. I'd love to have some other people on this forum with a strong statistical background download it and give it a test-drive.

It's called Pokalyzer. I found it at: www.any2cards.com when I was preparing to go out to Vegas for the WSOP.

It's $30 for a registered version. I've only used the free trial version (you can use it about 10 times for free before it locks you out). It has a great graphical interface and some cool features.

I'd be willing to pay for it - if a couple of people could confirm for me that the statistical analysis behind it is solid.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 PM

The heads up percentages are correct. A 3 hand analysis I ran came very close to, but not the same as Hold em Analyzer Pro. The difference may be that Pokalyzer runs a simulation, while I ran an exact calculation on Hold'em Analyzer.

All in all I like the interface better on H'eA, and it does a bit more, but the "pro" version is much more expensive. I would try that out and see if the extra features are worth it to you.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:07 PM

Todd,

It is solid and 100% accurate, I should know because I wrote the software and checked the stats against Steve Brecher's excellent (and free) Hold'em Showdown Software. The Pokalyzer is not a simulation, it deals all available flops from the remaining cards so the odds are always accurate. For example, if two players are heads up, the number of possible flops is (48x47x46x45x44)/(5x4x3x2x1) = 1,712,304. The Pokalyzer deals all these flops, evaluates the players' hands for each one and tabulates the results. Because of this, The Pokalyzer also gives you details for each player: how many flushes made, trips, quads etc.

The heads-up stats which show the odds between any two hards pre-flop are also bang on as I set the machine to deal the 700 billion (!) hands required to build this data and then checked many of them manually and against Hold'em Showdown.

What the Pokalyzer does not do is attempt to tell you how to play the game, read opponents, bluff, bully, steal or how to play againsts rocks, maniacs and loonies. Anyone seeking such advise, please look elsewhere. Anyone seeking accurate stats, the Pokalyzer might be for you.

Regards
FastCards