Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Why dont you give away your money to poor people?

[ QUOTE ]
Why arent you giving your money to poor people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. About 26% of everything I earn goes to the government who then (mainly) give it to poor people. Then out of what I have left, every time I buy anything other than basic things needed to survive, abother 17.5% goes to the government who mainly spend it on poor people.

So don't go gobbing off about how I don't give money to the poor.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 AM

so you pay taxes to support these people or because you have to?

i want everyone to have their basic human needs met, and for everyone to have a chance to be successful in life, after that it doesnt matter to me.

there is no reason for me to buy 4 people hondas instead of me buying a porsche.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. About 26% of everything I earn goes to the government who then (mainly) give it to poor people. Then out of what I have left, every time I buy anything other than basic things needed to survive, abother 17.5% goes to the government who mainly spend it on poor people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM

Because it's my money, if they want money they can go earn it, just like I did.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:11 AM

No Gris.. Actually he was pretty much dead on.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:41 PM

I am the poor person I'm donating to
Old 07-04-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you pay taxes to support these people or because you have to?

i want everyone to have their basic human needs met, and for everyone to have a chance to be successful in life, after that it doesnt matter to me.

there is no reason for me to buy 4 people hondas instead of me buying a porsche.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest Kane, are you a Thai national, or do you live there for the cheap cost of living ($700 a month I believe you once said) and absence of compulsory taxes on gambling? If so, do you pay tax on your gambling winnings in your country of origin or is there a double taxation agreement? Do you have to dodge across the border every 3 months for your visa? (To those of you from the US, a visa is what you need when you visit another country, like Europe, and you also need a PASSPORT).

Bingo
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 PM

"Why dont you give away your money to poor people?"

...I would prefer to plant big forests all around the world...
...and IF I would spend money to the poor i wouldnt broadcast it either...
...by the way: how much of YOUR money do YOU spend?

Pokey
Old 07-04-2005, 09:04 PM

i have a tourist visa.

there is NO legal escape from paying taxes to the IRS.

i get a 60 day visa from a thai consulate outside thailand, extend it 30 days, 14 days, 7 days, then i do it again.

you have to be 20 yo to get married in thailand. in feb, ill probally just marry my gf here, then i get a sweet visa deal.

if you keep going and coming, they may make you open a bank account in a thai bank for 5k USD.

i really dont want to be flooded with pm'sasking the same general queestions. just ask me on any thread i post in on 2+2.

gambling in thailand is illegal. you can access all poker sites but you cannot make a deposit withdrawal. my mom does this for me back home.

for the guys pming me "where is thailand exactly? i heard they love american men" ...just stay in alabama, please.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 PM

Okay, so do I:

- Buy 4 people Honda's?
- Buy 12 people some crappy second-hand car that nevertheless gets them where they need to go?
- Spend the money on food for starving people in Africa?

I've been struggling with this question myself. I haven't been able to come up with a satisfying answer yet.

Who exactly are 'poor people'? If I give everything I earn but do not need to every person that is in need of money - and obviously I'm not talking about 'poor' Americans here, as is pointed out above - they will all be a tiny fraction less broke, still hungry and what not.
So obviopusly I should limit the number of people that I help, if I choose to. How should I discriminate?

Suppose I give it to friends who are really needy (I haven't had to yet, but I definitely will if the situation arises). Are they more deserving than others, because I happen to know them? I could probably be friends with a lot of people that are in dire financial straits, yet I don't go around giving money to random people.

How about charitable organisations? In my view, a lot of people give money because it buys them a good feeling. They send a few hundred bucks, the nagging image of starving children gets out of their minds for a while. They go to bed feeling good about themselves because they know every month part of their income goes to 'charity'. I do it too, but I haven't been keeping up the amount as I moved up in limits. Also, I keep reading about how inefficient these organisations work - up to 95% of funds can get either wasted on inefficient 'aid' programs or ends up in the pockets of managers. And that's without taking into account the corruption in countries that receive financial aid. I'll admit that I need to do a little more research, though.

It'll be interesting to read more responses to this.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:54 PM

the thing is that the people getting the hondas should instead buy bicycles for others, who should instead buy shoes for others, etc.