Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Im just getting started, did i play this hand correctly?

I think I raise this type of hand if there are 5+ limpers or 2 or fewer limpers. I think with 3 or 4 limpers, I just call from the blinds. I either want a big multiway pot or to get it heads up with one or two other hands. I don't know if this is correct, but it's what I'm comfortable with.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember one of the hand quizzes says not raising AJ suited out of the lines is as big a mistake as limping with 72o. Or something very similar to that.

[/ QUOTE ]
If my post wasn't clear, I was intending to give reasons why I thought raising AJs from the blinds is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

The example (p. 259) is actually raising ATs out of the BB behind six limpers, so it splits the difference. I guess ATs can make a straight, so it's got that advantage over A9s, but otherwise it seems like a raise here is still in order, no? I've been too wussy to pull the trigger with this lately, but I used to do it as a standard play. I'm getting soft in my old age.

There's a paragraph on p. 88 about raising with a pot equity edge, but it talks there more about the consequences of raising (tying yourself to the pot) than reasons for doing it. It sounds like a case could be made for both.

For some reason I really thought I remembered an example of raising something like 66 from the SB when the table limps in, but I guess it wasn't in SSH.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to continue to bet the river. Looks like to me the dude missed a staight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a reason why we should continue to bet the river. In fact, if we are confident we are always up against a missed draw and generally isn't calling down a worse hand, we should check the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Belloc,

I think the answer is that you should make the decision based on what kinds of hands you think your opponents are playing. Project a range of hands for them and decide to raise/check/complete accordingly. Against a table with a vpip of 21% or something and somehow 4 limpers, I'd be very wary of raising this, particularly if some of the limpers are tight and weak pre-flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The example (p. 259) is actually raising ATs out of the BB behind six limpers, so it splits the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
But your comparing a hand with 3 limpers vs a hand with 6 limpers!!! There is a huge difference. In the case of 6 limpers with ATs we are raising for value on the flush and straight making possibilities of our hand. We could also raise hands like 55 here for value.

SSHE is also for the most part dealing with small stakes live games where people limp all sorts of crap. With hands like ATs and this many people going to the flop, we have a fairly big equity advantage over them.

A9s with 3 limpers is very different.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The example (p. 259) is actually raising ATs out of the BB behind six limpers, so it splits the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
But your comparing a hand with 3 limpers vs a hand with 6 limpers!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm not. Remember, I totally hijacked this thread to bring up a situation where we're considering raising out of the blinds (SB or BB) behind a table full of raisers. Then I made the mistake of mentioning the OP's A9s hand again in the process of explaining myself. I know it sucked of me to have done that, but at least I admitted it at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
There is a huge difference. In the case of 6 limpers with ATs we are raising for value on the flush and straight making possibilities of our hand. We could also raise hands like 55 here for value.

SSHE is also for the most part dealing with small stakes live games where people limp all sorts of crap. With hands like ATs and this many people going to the flop, we have a fairly big equity advantage over them.

A9s with 3 limpers is very different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this.