Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 10:01 PM

Default Waiting until turn to raise KK.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>

What do you think about flop and turn play?

I played it this way because I thought I would have much more equity on the turn if a good card fell.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Waiting until turn to raise KK.

You have to raise that flop. Bet the river.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:56 PM

What happened to the river?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 PM

With two people to act behind you, I think you should raise the flop.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:13 PM

I raise the flop. First because I make more money if I have the best hand, but at least as importantly because it might chase out some people with three-flushes or backdoor straights.

If another spade hits the turn, anyone with a spade(which could be LOTS of people) now has a flush draw and will stay around longer, either making, say, a second pair to beat your pair of kings, or even trips, or flushing. On the straight, you had the 5, another straight card hit, for the same type of problem. Now anyone with a 6 is staying to the river. Regardless of the size of the pot, in lower limit games.

I raise boards with two suited or connected cards hard on the flop if I can to get the backdoors out. The more of them there are, the more likely at least someone will make a very threatening draw on the turn, in which case your pot equity plunges dramatically.

Miller recommends sometimes waiting till the turn when the board looks like you won't shake anyone off with a flop raise. This flop has some of the characteristics of that kind of flop. But I wouldn't wait in this situation. You have to get the backdoor draws out and since there are so many people playing aces in low limit games to at least the flop, you really have to try to get them the heck out of the pot before the turn or the river gives them another ace to pair up and beat you. Kings are both very strong and very, very vulnerable in low limit games, so my take on it is that you have to play them very hard.

On the turn, I like your raise. Make people drawing to spade or heart flushes pay dearly to do it. With three other people in the pot and two strong draws on board, chances are very good you're going to lose, so you have to make as big a profit as possible on those times you win. Push that money into the pot!

If a straight has already been made, so be it, but it's not the most likely thing. Unfortunately, a holding like 6,4 or 9,6 is not incredibly unlikely out of the blinds, which at least in low limits most people play with virtually any holding at all. I'd be much less scared of a bet that looks like a made straight out of a spot other than the blinds.

The SB may have tripped up on the flop, too, but playing your good hands meekly just on the chance that someone has tripped up on you would be giving up much more than you gain.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:52 PM

I deleted it since I realized it was fairly obvious.
Here it is again for those that are curious.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (17 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks. I keep posting hands where I do this, you would think I would learn.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 08-14-2004, 11:56 PM

The hand that he recommends waiting on is one which is more vulnerable than this one.
The very reason I waited is because I thought my hand was so vulnerable, maybe it was wrong though.

Perhaps the pot was too big for this play to be profitable, I am curious what people think.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:59 PM

I think you did fine so far.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:11 AM

I raise the flop. My main reason is so I can raise again if someone reraises me b/c I want to raise again. My second reason is so they fear me raising again on the turn, which I will.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:08 AM

Yes, Miller's hand in his example wasn't nearly as strong, and raising with pocket 10's could easily be raising with a hand that could get snapped off in the next card or two if it wasn't beaten already. Losing with it wouldn't be nearly as unexpected, and not raising with it wouldn't be giving up nearly as much pot equity. Seeing the turn could help establish what your equity really was without giving too much up in the process.

Losing with a hand as strong as pocket kings because you failed to protect the pot would be a major loss, though, so you have to push them very, very hard. You give up an enormous amount of pot equity not raising with them on the flop, and give your opponents many chances to drastically improve their own pot equity, at your expense.

It hands like this, in the long run it is much cheaper to raise than call.