Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Live 6/12 3 handed, 3 hands.

Late Saturday night I walked into the poker room at Harvey's Tahoe and saw that my 6/12 game from earlier was down to 3 handed, I jumped in to make it 4 handed. The house was only dropping a buck and the table had an auto shuffler so the game moved along. I had a blast playing and it was nice for Harvey's to let the game keep going short. After about 45 mins one guy left and it was down to 3 people.

It was a pretty good game because the guys I was playing with were letting me run over the game. This was odd for me since I have a tendency to be on the tight side, but I ran good and these guys were folding too much. I had very been aggressive but had showed down some big hands and had not been caught getting out of line. Both opponents played decently and might have been winners in a full game but didnt seem to open enough in this game.

I dont think these hands are all that interesting, but I dont play 3 handed all that often, and I rarely get to play live short handed.

First 2 hands below were against the same opponent, he was pretty aggressive pre flop and was randomly aggressive post flop.

Hand #1

SB limps, I check Q6o.

Flop is 642r, he bets, I raise, he 3 bets, I call planning to raise any turn.

Hand #2 Same SB limps I check JTo. Flop is QJx rainbow. he checks I bet he calls. Turn is a King he bets, I raise.

And one hand vs the other guy. This guy was less aggressive and pretty straight forward, he was also stuck (having taken some beats) and maybe steaming a little and seemed to be getting sick of my raising.

Hand #3 He limps UTG, SB folds,I raise JJ in the BB, he calls. Flop is 665r, I bet, he raises, I call planning to c/r any turn. Is it better to just keep going on the flop? It seems like there are a lot of cards he might to check behind on the turn and he also might think Im FOS on that flop and give a lot of action.

Thoughts on all or any of these appreciated.

Edit: I also straddled on the button which I know is awesome but I really had no idea WTF because it seemed to inspire the other 2 to start 3 betting and then the pot was big big and I had the button but really lousy cards and felt lost. Someone needs to write something on this to help dumb guys like me.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Live 6/12 3 handed, 3 hands.

#1 Good

#2 I don't like the raise. Just call and hit your OESD. Fold the river UI.

#3 This is a good hand to use to keep your image up. Keep firing and don't get tricky. If he folds before showdown, flash your cards to let him (them) know you're still playing solid cards.

Straddling on the button is very awesome. Get better cards next time.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: I also straddled on the button which I know is awesome but I really had no idea WTF because it seemed to inspire the other 2 to start 3 betting and then the pot was big big and I had the button but really lousy cards and felt lost. Someone needs to write something on this to help dumb guys like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about: don't do it?

Hand 1, I think you overdid it live. I would just call this down and bet if checked to. Raising after the threebet seems spewey, esp. for B&M.

hand 2, raise this preflop. This guy raises a lot preflop, you said, and yet he's limping in with a chance to steal. You need to punish him with a hand as good as JT. I'm raising a LOT of stuff here. You have position and high cards, take the initiative.

Otherwise, a player like this is going to autobet a lot of flops when you should be the one taking down the pots.

Hand 3: checkraising the turn opens you up to giving free cards, and getting 3bet when you actually are behind. My holdem senses are a little warped since i've been playing like 99% O/8b and chinese poker lately, but I would either go three bets on the flop and lead the turn or call and donk the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I wanted to try it because I have read that its a big advantage, and I dont get too many chances. But since it was making the other guys play better, and left me lost, I stopped after a few orbits.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:55 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

1: I would just call down after the three bet. You say these guys are passive, and he three bet u on a dry flop.
2: Easy raise PF. I would just call the turn. Raise improved on river or call UI or even fold depending on the flow.
3: Your line is fine, but I prefer 3-betting and betting turn. He may checked a lot of overcards on the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man are you for real? it was my understanding this is against the rules in most places. it seems like there is a huge edge here
Old 12-06-2005, 03:31 PM

what edge? Having the blinds know that you have a random hand is just going to make them play better against you. You want the blinds to at least THINK that you're being selective, even if you really aren't.

Can you three-bet your own straddle after the other players have called? If not, I can't see any advantage to straddling the button.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what edge? Having the blinds know that you have a random hand is just going to make them play better against you. You want the blinds to at least THINK that you're being selective, even if you really aren't.

Can you three-bet your own straddle after the other players have called? If not, I can't see any advantage to straddling the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its live you can 3 bet it. I know there was some a thread about this (J.A. Sucker maybe?), but I cant seem to find it.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man are you for real? it was my understanding this is against the rules in most places. it seems like there is a huge edge here

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second, I've never played with straddling, but isn't the point of straddling to buy you the button?
Why in the hell would you ever do this when u already have the button?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:07 PM

I think this was a bad idea in your scenario. If the people you are playing against have been playing a weak-tight style against you, you just gave them a very good reason to stop folding. Before, they may have suspected that you were raising [censored] hands on the button, but kept folding anyway. Here, they now know that you haven't even looked at your cards and you are almost forcing them to adjust. This probably will help put them in the mindset to defend and erode the good thing you had going.