Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Feeling sexy - Q8s

[ QUOTE ]
Given the development of the board, there is little assurance he will bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. every 30/20 is a lagtard at heart. i dont often like the sexy but i like it here
Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
every 30/20 is a lagtard at heart.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop making fun of me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given the development of the board, there is little assurance he will bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. every 30/20 is a lagtard at heart. i dont often like the sexy but i like it here

[/ QUOTE ]

A 30/20 may LAG it up on the flop with a pair plus an Ace overcard, but when the T overcard hits, the flush fills, and the gutshot straight draw fills, a 30/20 will take a free showdown with a marginal holding.

I put the 30/20 on either a worse 8 like 89o, or a middle pair with a good kicker like A5o.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The table probably thinks I'm tilting at this point

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the main reason why this play is good, IMO. They'll think that your 3-bet on the flop could be any piece of it or nothing, so they'll likely try to value bet on the river.

Without that piece of information, it's hard to see why someone would bet this river for you (and why they would pay off the raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my in-game quick-reasoning was that, given the board, a lot of straight draws just got there on the river, and if he was on a gutshot that missed, he just made a pair.

Given that reasoning, though, sexying is probably wrong since if he made a straight, I get in a 3bet, and all the times he paired some aspect of his junky gutshot, he might check behind. I say "might" since he's way more likely than a competent player to make a losing river bet.

The fact that he's more likely to bet his middle pairs and weak hands when checked to make this play closer than it first appears.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A 30/20 may LAG it up on the flop with a pair plus an Ace overcard, but when the T overcard hits, the flush fills, and the gutshot straight draw fills, a 30/20 will take a free showdown with a marginal holding.

I put the 30/20 on either a worse 8 like 89o, or a middle pair with a good kicker like A5o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is afraid of this flush. The T is not a scary overcard. You're exaggerating the scariness of this board. Plus, lagtards aren't afraid of anything, anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is afraid of this flush. The T is not a scary overcard. You're exaggerating the scariness of this board. Plus, lagtards aren't afraid of anything, anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is not crap-your-pants scary, of course, but the 30/20 doesn't exactly have a monster holding, either. Chances are his holding is extremely marginal. So if you choose to sexy, you need to count on him making an aggressive value bet with a marginal hand, where the board contains triple-threat scare cards (flush, overcard, straight). This just wont happen very often. BTW, what were the results?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is not crap-your-pants scary, of course, but the 30/20 doesn't exactly have a monster holding, either. Chances are his holding is extremely marginal. So if you choose to sexy, you need to count on him making an aggressive value bet with a marginal hand, where the board contains triple-threat scare cards (flush, overcard, straight). This just wont happen very often. BTW, what were the results?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Isn't one of the characteristics of laggy players that they DO bet a lot of marginal holdings that most players check?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like it. Bet the river. Given the development of the board, there is little assurance he will bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given Dong's read, he can be quite sure that Laggy will bet.

The only reason to bet this river is if you're reasonably sure you'll get 3-bet. The question is: is the bet/3bet line > teh sexy?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:46 PM

Why does everyone think a 30/20/2 player is LAGgy. These are pretty close to ideal 6-max stats, IMO.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:53 PM

i'm more of a 26/18 guy and i bet this river with a strong eight and tons of pocket pairs when checked to. i still like the spot