Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: What\'s your Birthday David?

While I'm not a believer in Astrology, I'm a little more open minded to it. I have met several people who are into Astology and none of them try to predict the future, they're not psychics.
But with someone's Birthday, exact time and location they can get a good picture of someone's personality and what makes them tick.
David, have you ever had your chart done(shows where every planet was at the time of birth. I bet you a good Astologer could analyze your general personality and hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Are Astrology Devotees SubHuman?

Hey Dave...I just had to sign up for this forum so I could come on and read your posts. See I heard about your idiocy all the way out here in non-internet land where I live. Anyways, I'd just like to say that if Jesus were here today he'd probably punch you right in the face.
Have a nice day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 06:55 PM

I have never known or met anyone who was a serious devotee of astrology. Quite a few women ask about people's signs and have some general theories about what type of a person someone is based on their sign. None of these women I've known returned repeatedly to the theme of astrology while I knew them.

I don't think that serious devotees are large in number and my impression is that nearly all whom are interested in astrologers and psychics are women (probably due to women's increased interest in understanding men since men aren't as emotionally open as women. Therefore, they wish to fill in the gaps and sometimes resort to dubious methods to do so.

Most people who use psychics or look at their horoscope are simply interested in adding a little spice to their day. If something adds a little surprise or interest to your day it doesn't seem to be that big a deal to me.

Who exactly are these people who are aware of the science and statistics who still are devotees of astrology? Can you name anyone who is not a con man who fits into this category? You may as well attack fortune cookie devotees.

Idiot and imbecile are terms used to describe degrees of severe mental retardation. It would be more appropriate to use a term such as highly irrational to describe such a person.

You seem to generally hold two conflicting points of view. First through your books and your posts here you seem to have a great appreciation for your own intellect. You claim to have the ability to win a Nobel Prize, brag about how other top poker players don't understand what the optimal plays are, and brag of your ability to reframe questions in a unique and interesting way. That's fine by me and is probably true to a high degree.

On the other hand you frequently seem to have derision for others who are not highly logical thinkers or seem to have some supernatural or religious beliefs. You have to understand that by being endowed with high intelligence you have a higher degree of understanding than others. It seems like you should be more grateful for your own talents and more accepting of others for their limitations.

You can't keep saying "I'm a genius" and alternately that everyone else is a idiot. A more accurate version would be for you to think "I'm very bright and logical" and that others are closer to average with regards to intelligence and logic.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 PM

"I imagine you would say that thinking illogically about astrology would mean that surely the person so thinking would also have to think illogically about other things as well. It ain't necessarily so. And, if it is necessarily so, so what? Many people who don't think as logically as you live happy, productive, satisfyng, generous lives."

Being a serious devotee of astrology probably means you think illogically. Let's stipulate to that. But the reason I choose being a functional heroin addict for my son over being an astrology devotee is not mereley because they are illogical. I would reluctantly prefer he be illogical if it was benign. I choose heroin addiction over VOCAL illogic. Most people who don't think well kinda know it. And they tend to defer to those who they realize think better. But there are those few who hold ridiculous ideas and proclaim them to the world, knowing full well that almost all highly educated people say its hogwash. Some of those who call in to radio talk shows are good examples.

Still I do admit its close. Else why why I have said Cathlocism is preferable to heroin addiction?

As to Tommy Angelitis. I see he is teaching poker now. TEACHING. For money. If his lessons make you lose instead of win (not saying they do) and he rips people off, would you still prefer your son to be him rather than an arrogant guy who actually helps people?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"To show how strongly I feel about this subject I will say that I would never marry someone who fully believed in astrology regardless of the evidence."

"If evidence proved that astrology was correct, you still wouldn't marry someone? That seems a bit silly."

In case you are not joking, I meant that they believed in astrology regardless of the evidence aginst astrology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sentence structure indicates that you were talking about the subject 'I', so I didn't want to make the assumption otherwise. It's clear now.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM

"Many people who don't think as logically as you live happy, productive, satisfyng, generous lives"

Don't think as logically as me, or think as illogically as an astrology devotee? Not quite the same thing. The people who actually think very illogically are much less apt to lead happy, productive, satisfying, generous lives. Because they are constantly faced with decisions in their life. And if you aren't logical you are much more apt to screw up when making decisions to reach your goals, whatever they may be.

Those who do pull off a measure of success can thank their lucky stars they live in a country like ours where there is such abundance and opportunies for second and third chances. Your comments about illogical people are completely off the mark for poorer countries or in history. When survival of the fittest plays a part, illogical people are almost drawing dead.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who do pull off a measure of success can thank their lucky stars they live in a country like ours where there is such abundance and opportunies for second and third chances. Your comments about illogical people are completely off the mark for poorer countries or in history. When survival of the fittest plays a part, illogical people are almost drawing dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

How well will the lifetime heroin addict do in these poorer countries/times?

chez
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Are Astrology Devotees SubHuman?..well:

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the way the planets are aligned tonite does not bode well for you davey; gl

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Everybody who works is doing something for money. Tommy doesn't guarantee he'll make you money. He says he'll give you advice. You should be able to dfetemine if it's good or bad. He's not ripping you off if his advice is bad. Unless he's making false claims, caveat emptor. In my own business, I frequently will choose a less qualified employee who is also less arrogant.

I don't see the world as black and white as you see it. If Tommy's advice nets out making his students money, it probably means some of his advice is great, some not so great, some bad. If it nets out losing his students money, it probably means less of is is great or not so great and more of it bad. As for the arrogant guy that helps people, it depends on how much he helps and what the help is. If the help earns me another few dollars an hour playing poker, it's no big deal. I'll take a poorer teacher who is not insufferable. If it cures cancer, then I'd forbear the arrogance.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 PM

In poorer countries, politics plays a much more significant role in people's live than whether they can think logically or not. The deck is stacked against them and the situation is more accurately described as survivial of the better connected than suvival of the fittest.

I agree with the good points you make in your first paragraph.