Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 06:11 AM

Default $5/$5 NL

Pretty good loose and not too aggressive no limit game in NYC. I started the hand with about $3800.

Preflop: Pretty good aggressive player who has a tendency to overplay his hands open limps UTG + 1 (has about $1300). Folded to MP1 who makes it $55. He has a little more than $5000 in front of him and has been mixing up his play well and raising with a wide variety of hands preflop. His most common preflop raise has been $55. Loose crazy player cold calls from cutoff (has about $1200). I cold call with KcJc from the small blind, and UTG + 1 calls.

Flop: Qc 10d 6c. Checked around.

Turn: 8c. I check, UTG + 1 checks, MP1 bets $100, button cold calls $100, I raise it to $700, UTG + 1 pushes all in for $1390. MP1 pauses for a few seconds and mucks, button thinks for a very long time and calls all in. I call the $690.

I'm a relatively inexperienced no limit player so any comments no matter how elementary they seem would be very helpful.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: $5/$5 NL

From my live experiejnce you are good far enough to make such a call.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 AM

the turn checkraise is bad against better players.

obviouly you're calling here given the odds offered.

fim
Old 08-12-2005, 11:03 AM

whoa. lead the flop. aim to get your stack in... looks like there migth have been a slow played 2 pair/set type hand - imagine if you could have pushed on the flop and cleaned up the club outs... or even, taken it down on the flop.

but yeah now there are definitely odds for a call. the question is do you call or raise all in? if button is actually thinking for a very long time, it seems like he has a set type of hand, so wouldn't it make sense to push all in to win a big side pot just in case you are losing to the nut flush?

(you also didn't mention button's stack so i don'tknow how relevant this is)

also, this wasn't last night at bway was it? i was there and got sucked out on massively for huge pots twice before taking off, i had sadly only taken 3.5 buy ins with me but i'd have loved to stay for longer, there were a couple crazy crazy guys there who i would have loved to relieve of their money.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 AM

Jam the flop
Old 08-12-2005, 02:25 PM

Yep this was at Broadway. I usually don't play no limit, I play sometimes if I think the game is worth it.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 PM

Why is the checkraise here bad against better players? Because the only hand here that would call or raise my bet is a hand that has me beat? I'm a relatively new no limit player, but I thought a move like the one I made would look like I was trying to steal the pot. I had checkraised and backraised the big stack numerous times before and I knew he was getting sick of it. UTG + 1 pushing all in over the top definitely threw me off here.