Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Default PLO8 $25, how to play two pair? (with HH)

Hi, I've been wondering how you can profitably play two pair in O8...Here's an example of me getting stacked, what should I have done?

PLO8 $25, 10 players
Hero is BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
5 limpers, SB limps, Hero checks.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets pot ($1.70), 2 limpers call, SB calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets pot ($8.15), 1 limper calls ($2.80 all in), SB calls.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets $16.40 all-in, SB calls.

SB shows 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and takes my stack.

I doubt the flop bet was right, because of the flush and low draws out...And then the turn bet was probably wrong, with another flush draw out...And the river, well...I don't know. Thought he might have been going for low or the flush, hadn't shown any agression, thought I might be good.

Should two pair ever be played? I find that I'm usually drawing to a boat, but if I don't bet the draw, when I do hit, there's like $.03 in the pot for me to win...Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $25, how to play two pair? (with HH)

When you flop two pair in O8B, you shouldnt get real excited, at all. In this example that you gave, I can think of a ton of hands that you're an underdog to.

You need to become accustomed to laying down these kinds of hands fairly often, and especially here on the turn.

If I had to think of a good flop for two pair, It would be something like when you had AK XX and the flop came

A K 9

In the hand that you posted, virtually any card that's not a Q or a 5 will leave you at best in a difficult spot, and at worst drawing dead (as was the case here).

I dont mind you betting the pot on the flop, but you need to give up on the turn here against most opponents, like, almost always. On the turn, your hand is extremely marginal. You should check and fold here without second guessing yourself.

One of the problems i've noticed with players is that they usually learn poker by playing hold'em, and they try to carry over some of the same concepts and principals , not to mention trying to make some of the same plays, only to find that they're dead wrong. Players who are primarily long term 2 carders will usually think that top two is a big hand because they're used to it being a big hand in hold'em, and then they try to play it the same way in 4 card and they come up short in a major way.

GL

Tex