Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: $55: Mystified. Do donks still do this in the 55\'s?

With 135 already in the pot before the all-in raise, I think this is approximately similar to calling an all-in with the blinds at 50/100. If you run the numbers through SNGPT with blinds at 50/100, putting yourself in the big blind, with the villans push of 66+,AQo+, then it is a fold. It's definitely dependant on your opponents range of hands. I'd be less inclined to call against a good player.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Of course pot odds are important. I didn't mean to imply that they should be ignored.

All I was saying is that some decisions (I think this is one) shouldn't be made by analyzing the pot odds alone. They should go into the equation on every hand you play, but I think there are more successful ways to go about tournament play than saying "the pot is offering me the correct odds to call, so I will call".

In this situation, Hero will be in fine shape by folding. Obviously, a call and a win would be quite helpful, but a call and a lose will result in busting out of the tournament. I don't like busting 50% of the time here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this early, the odds that you can build a big stack more risk-aversly may somehow outweight the odds that you're getting from the pot to call. I'd call in this situation later in the tournament, and I don't think a call is horrible here or anything (since the pot is offering the correct odds), I just think a fold may be a slightly better option. Just my .02 though.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 PM

So you'd fold AK here with dead money in the pot and 58% equity against the range you have him on? Just checking...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Alright, I misread Hero's stack size. I'd probably be more inclined to call because I don't really like having a stack of <800 going into the next level of blinds. Having t1800 would be significantly better (to the point that I would risk busting half the time to get there), and I'd probably call because of this. But not because of the pot odds.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 PM

I have to agree. I'm not giving the guy credit for a big pair unless I have an unusual read that indicates otherwise. Very few players will play AA or KK this way. I think the most likely hand for villian to have is AK or a mid pocket pair. Without a read, I'd put him on a range of AQ+, 88-QQ. Hero is a slight favourite against this range, and there is dead money in the pot. I think it's a call.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be less inclined to call against a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a "good player" be pushing AA or KK like this? They are the ONLY hands I would hate to see.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ. I've seen that hand played this way on all the levels ranging from $11s-$55s. Of course more prevalent in the $11s & $22s but I've seen it in a few of the higher SnGs.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Auto call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah... I do not know about that. To be honest I think this is AA or KK alot more than you do. I'll let the call fold debate continue, but this is not an autocall.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:10 PM

Hero's stack size is not an important factor here. 800 chips is plenty to work with, and can't justify making a bad call. If you think a call is -EV, why on earth would you call just because you 'only' have 800 chips?

The important factor here is the SB's range. If we can agree on that, the rest is just math.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 PM

Since most people seem to be advocating to call here, I'd say good players should be pushing AA, KK after someone raises [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]