Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Cardplayer articles I think some Micro players could benefit from.

http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...amp;m_id=65574

http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...amp;m_id=65575

I guess we'll have to wait a week for the last installment, but I read this article and reread it and reread it.

I think when you are playing with reads, like most of us should be, calling down or paying a guy off is something we can all avoid. Believe me, I think this is one of my biggest leaks. A different article said you can tell a good poker player, when he can put money in a pot and fold on the same street.

BTW, this issue of CardPlayer is probably the best this year.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Cardplayer articles I think some Micro players could benefit from.

Thanks, I'll be sure and reread these later.

How did your tournament go?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How did your tournament go?

[/ QUOTE ]

81st out of 1100. Second money tier. I'm happy for my first MTT in a while.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Good articles. I think the last sentence is something that I tend to do.

"Don’t just estimate your outs and pot odds; calculate them to avoid overweighting small probabilities. And when the results of your calculation tell you to fold, do it."

While I always try to calculate my odds instead of just estimating them sometimes I go overboard. Especially in a 6max game where I have the mentality that overcards are worth more than in a full game because 1 pair is more likely to hold up. Example: I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button and the blinds call.
The flop comes something like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets and BB folds. I start thinking that I've got close to 6 full outs because HU both my A and J should win if one falls. I tend to ignore the fact that SB could have me reverse dominated which, in a full game would make me think of overcards closer to 3 outs which would make me fold. I also start to think, hey, maybe he's bluffing and I'm really ahead so I should stay in. I'm not saying that I would be necessarily 100% wrong in thinking this way (I don think overcards shouldn't be discounted as much and A high has more value) but this article illustrates the reasons why I do think this way.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Example: I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button and the blinds call.
The flop comes something like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets and BB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the mystery 52 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] card is played, you MUST play with more caution. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though. I'm glad you guys got something out of those. When the next issue comes out, I'll post another link. If moderators don't have a problem with that.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Example: I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button and the blinds call.
SB bets and BB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the mystery 52 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] card is played, you MUST play with more caution. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though. I'm glad you guys got something out of those. When the next issue comes out, I'll post another link. If moderators don't have a problem with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always get reverse dominated by that damn 52 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Players who are risk-loving in losses and risk-averse in gains can be expected to play tighter when they are ahead and looser when they are behind. Pay attention to their stack size and how they stand (whether they are winning or losing). Trust their play more when they are winning, and a lot less when they are losing. Sometimes, these players can be convinced not to leave by reminding them that they are stuck and need only one or two wins to get even. They may stay and gamble it up, hoping for a miracle.

This cracks me up!
You run into so many of these players in live low-limit games.
And usually they do not require any "reminding."
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Fantastic reading, thanks for the links!!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:52 PM

Is it ethical for them to study my play w/o me knowing about it? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 07:58 PM

Your the best.