Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Lessons to take from thebadguy

In thebadguy's (TBG) last post, he outlined a super aggro play against a weak-tight player. So now I have two questions:

1st, how do you defend against this TBG type of player? I sat at a table a week ago against someone like this and watched the guy run over the whole table. My cards sucked, and I got impatient, and I lost.

2nd, what elements of this style can a less LAG player adopt without playing completely outside of his comfort zone and style? Obviously, there is much profit potential in TBG's approach. Would anyone care to share the basics? TBG?

Marlow
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Lessons to take from thebadguy

I am not a very good player..just very aggressive, and the type of player i hate playing against most is a good lag who has position on me and keeps raising my pf limp..flop/turn bets.
I am not sure how else to answer this.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM

the key point in his post was that he felt villian would have bet reraised the turn with a set. like theriverboatking's hand the other day, it was a specific play based on a very specific read/realization.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Tell me... is it common fare for you to call some or most flop bets with nothing or very little, just to see if your villian gets meek on the Turn?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me... is it common fare for you to call some or most flop bets with nothing or very little, just to see if your villian gets meek on the Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, at higher stakes/deeper stakes NL becomes a game of position even more than cards. Cards can be irrelevant. You can do anything with position it seems, even more so than at smaller limits or with less in front.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do it a lot against certain players.
When i started playing poker..i played exactly as doyle outlines in SS. I just sat there and made it expensive..u wanna see ,well its gonna cost u. I can say ive made quite a bit of improvements to my game but i still like doing this.
I like having fun playing poker...which is not a good idea according to a lot of MHNL posters.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM

I think most people do this (it's called a ctb, or call to bluff).
Old 08-01-2005, 02:49 PM

I thought it was called floating or something? The limit forum went through some lame war about all these different terms they started introducing, I think they called this floating.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do it a lot against certain players.
When i started playing poker..i played exactly as doyle outlines in SS. I just sat there and made it expensive..u wanna see ,well its gonna cost u. I can say ive made quite a bit of improvements to my game but i still like doing this.
I like having fun playing poker...which is not a good idea according to a lot of MHNL posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker is fun?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 PM

floating as I understand it (which I don't [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) is someone who cold calls a raise on an early street and wins without a showdown on a bigger street. it's definitely a limit term, like 3 bet.