Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: teaching english in a foreign country

i wanted to reply earlier but i was banned.

anyways i started a similar thread a few weeks ago and it received little replies.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...381&Forum=
Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 AM

Just google "teach english abroad" or "in italy" or whatever. There are a tonne of places that will train you up and place you in a job, help you with the visa stuff etc. An American friend of mine did this recently in Japan, so you could definitely try it there. I'm sure you could do it in the EU. You will not be able to do any sort of menial job, except illegally. They will charge you for the course. You could try doing it by yourself without a TEFL certificate but most reputable places will want one and you'll have a harder time with visas etc.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rome > Florence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone have any info on this? i know there are at least a few on here that have done this. where do you even begin? do you have to go to the embassy to get a visa, etc.? how do you get the job. maybe just show up and look? reponses appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, unless you really are going to do a good job, I think its pretty weak to become a teacher, as alot of people do, cause its easy and quick. Do you have the personality to teach, the interest?

That said, you will make very little money without a college degree, and if you have a college degree youll need good credentials to get a job that pays well (with a university/private international school, etc.)

if you spend some time on these forums you should be able to make enough money playing poker to just need a laptop and internet connection to survive.

about getting a visa - you go to the contry, then apply for a job, they get you a wrok visa.

the cost of living in italy isnt cheap btw.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:48 AM

Hi,

I have not taught english abraod, but I have met some people who taught english. There is a demand for English teachers in asia, preferably with a US accent. Many schools will sponsor your visa application from the us - though you have to be careful as the working conditions are not always the best (eg I have not heard good things about NOVA in Japan). A very good way of going to Japan is the JET program

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/jet/

This is a Japanese government sponsored program to get people to teach english in Japan for one year. I think it may only be open to recent graduates and there is no guarantee as to where in Japan you could be sent.

An alternative source for information/contacts is your alma mater. Coleges often have international exchange programs open to gradautes (job placement abroad).

Many people go with tourists visas and wing it during their stay by tuturing to particulars. You can probably get about $30 and hour this way. I think the as a US citizen you can get 3 months stay in Japan with a tourist visa.

Be prepared for a big culture shock !

Now, focusing on Europe. It is hard to get a working permit. But ie you are of Italian ancestry you can apply for citizenship. The paperwork can be processed at your local consulate. However gathering the necessary records might require a trip to Italy. Having papers will make it all that much easier. Europeans are much more skilled in English and demand will be lower. In Spain and Italy you might have a better chance. However, they won't pay very much.

Go for it if you can ! I took a year off after school. Best thing I have done. It'll be hard at times, but it'll give you plenty of stories to share with your grandkids.