Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 AM

Default I used to think Negraneau was good....

Watching the NL Poker Heads Up Tourny on Saturday showed me that Daniel has sold his sould. Clearly he made a deal with the devil.

Daniel was playing against Jerry (Bus???). Daniel called Jerry's all-in when he was dominated (I believe it was AKos vs JQos)... I forget exactly what the hands were... but here's the weird part-

Daniel flops a straight draw. There are 2 diamonds on the board. Daniel has the jack of diamonds. His opponent has the Ace.

To make it interesting,.... Daniel's on the straight draw. He asks outloud for the 8 .... (which would give him the straight) BUT, he asked for diamonds because it would put a flush draw on the table thereby giving his opponent a chance to suck out on him. Keeping it interesting. On cue, the 8 falls.

Now his opponent realizes he has some outs. He wants a diamond. Daniel, laughing, asks for the Q which will give him the straight flush.

On cue, it falls. Daniel wins with a straight flush after asking for 2 specific cards one after the other in order.

Furthermore... on the WPT on wednesday, he was in a hand against Mizrahi (spelling?), went all his 7s against Mizrahis 8s. Furthermore, someone else folded a 7-8 so there was only 1 of each person's cards left.

On the turn, the board was:
5-6-9-x

He's dead to 1 card which... he needs his opponent to make a set... Which of course falls on the river.

** I know over many many games, you're going to see some miracle hits. But this guy, 2 incredible odds-defying events happening in major televised events?

He made a deal!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: I used to think Negraneau was good....

It's gonna happen on a televised event sooner or later, and you know that when it does, it'll be shown in the final edit.

This was not a random event, which is to say that the event itself was random, but getting edited into the show was not.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Daniel, is the best no limit hold 'em tournament player around. Also, even the best make mistakes.

I guess you have never made a mistake?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel, is the best no limit hold 'em tournament player around. Also, even the best make mistakes.

I guess you have never made a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:42 AM

First, it was AT vs QJ, which isn't domination. Second, AK vs QJ isn't domination. Third, who cares if the craziest two cards fell on the turn and river? How many people would call for the same cards there? How many times as he called for the similar cards in similar situations.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:55 AM

Daniel isn't known to make deals.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:25 PM

Geez, people can't see the forest through the trees.

I'm NOT saying Daniel made bad calls. Nor was the preflop play even important. I vaguely remember their hands.

It was the fact that he asked for, out loud, 2 specific cards, IN ORDER, and got them. If I did that, I would be in such shock my head would probably explode immediately.

What's up with the dude asking if I ever made a mistakes?

Sometimes I think, If I posted a story about how Hellmuth went all in with pocket 9s, got called by someone playing pocket 6s... his opponent rivers a set.. then Hellmuth went into convulsions, steam LITERALLY shot out of his ears, blood vessels broke in his eyes and his head spun in circles three times ala the excorcist....

Someone would remark, "He had pocket 10s... not 9s."

I think Daniel is great. I just couldn't believe the luck he's also had in these televised events.

Just crossed my mind that he might have made a deal with the man with the pitchfork.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 PM

I can't resist. Phil Ivey is a better tournament player than DN.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM

He called for the 8d on the turn and the Jd on the river. I'm starting to think that televised poker tournaments are going to become the new professional wrestling, with set-ups at every turn, (no pun intended) and players being paid off to act more dramatic.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Negreanu isn't any luckier than anyone else who wins tournaments. The real test is how he does in the long run, and in money games. He has been a very successful pro at all levels, and at all forms of poker for more than a decade.