Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Proposition bet during a hand... what would you do?

After further thought, the math is so close, you'd probably want to turn down the deal, cause if you suckout and win, you now have 2400 dollars on the table.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:54 PM

1) You say "It's probably a good deal. In fact, it definitely is a good deal. BUT I LOVE TO GAMB00L." Then you say "no, thank you," rebuy if you lose, and reap the benefits of your new loose and fast image.

2) You clearly fold if you have only one buy-in. You wait for a situation where you have a much bigger edge. You make back your loss on that one hand, and more.

Regarding the second question... taking rake into account, given that your bankroll is reasonably immune to variance, why would you ever turn down a marginal edge? I.e. if after taking the rake into account, your edge from calling an all-in is 1%, why would you fold? I posted about marginal situations a while back, and I got several answers along the lines of "If you want to gamble, hit the craps table. Play for bigger edges." If you have the long run in mind, why wouldn't you play for any edge?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:23 PM

I think the EV is close enough that you should make your decision based on bankroll and metagame considerations. As another poster already said, if you only have one buy in, it's probably best to just take the deal. If your bankroll doesn't limit your decision, I think declining the deal is better for the metagame. If your opponents think they can cut a deal to get out of marginal situations, I think it hurts your future bluffing EV.