Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Not Following Through

30 60 party. 10 handed

I try a steal from button with k [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], BB calls.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks I bet he calls.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. he checks. I decide that I will bet and fold to a raise. I bet he raises, and all of a sudden my mouse is heading over to call.....WHY WOULD I DO THIS IF I TOLD MYSELF I WOULDN'T. Anyway, I call.

River: BLANK.

He checks, I bet, he calls, and MHIG.

Results aside, why was I unable to go with my initial plan.

BTW he had J9s for middle pair.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Not Following Through

whoops, wrong forum. PLease move this over to mid limit. Sorry about that.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:32 AM

"why was I unable to to with my initial plan."

Because your initial plan sucked. It involved folding top pair heads up in a blind steal situation. If you never ever ever did this you would likely be ok. Listen to your mouse [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-09-2005, 06:49 AM

I just want to say I really like the river value bet. I used to not do this, but now I do it. It seems easy in retrospect, but I used to get freaked out by convincing myself I was behind on the turn and was calling down with fingers crossed, then cheering at the prospect of a free showdown. Now when he checks the river, it's obvious your hand is good enough of the time to make a bet for value. Even if he has KT, it's the right play.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"why was I unable to to with my initial plan."

Because your initial plan sucked. It involved folding top pair heads up in a blind steal situation. If you never ever ever did this you would likely be ok. Listen to your mouse [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this quote. Taking bet/fold lines HU with top pair in these kind of situations is financial suicide unless you have a very strong read on your opponent. I'm glad you were smart enough not to listen to yourself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Also, nice river bet. Having position is fun.