Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Quiet Friends

I don't know whether to call one of my friends shy or mute. He lives 2 doors down and all of our friends are friends so we hang out a lot.

He rarely talks. Ever. At most you'll get a few sentances out of him, and you can manage to hold a conversation with just him nodding a few times. He is the life of the party though. Everyone loves him. He has never said anything out of line or that people disagree with. He doesn't have much of an opinion either way. He never yells or gets mad but always seems generally happy even though he never shows much emotion.

I've never met anyone like this and didn't know there were people that were actually this shy? Is this a common occurance? Do a lot of people out there know multiple people like this? I'm pretty sure this guy would have 0 friends if not for being a really good surfer/skater because its hard to hold a conversation with him and for him to meet new people unless he is introduced to them.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Quiet Friends

I knew a girl like this in college. We asked her why she was so quiet. She pretty much stated that she usually didn't have anything to add to a conversation. I experienced the same 'nodding' conversation a few times.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:21 AM

Thats pretty much me.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 AM

Sometimes it's cool as hell to hang out with people like this just as a break from normal people who talk your ear off (read: obnoxious girls).
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 AM

This was me in High School. I think its a low self-esteem issue. You don't talk because you don't want to be judged. I loosened up after I stopped caring what people think of me.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 AM

It's not how much you say, but what you say. Filling air is fun, but often unneccessary. The best conversations are ones where almost nothing needs to be said, yet everything is perfectly understood.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew a girl like this in college. We asked her why she was so quiet. She pretty much stated that she usually didn't have anything to add to a conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that almost everything this guy says is gold should be proof that he has much more to add to the conversation than he thinks, if he does feel this way.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not how much you say, but what you say. Filling air is fun, but often unneccessary. The best conversations are ones where almost nothing needs to be said, yet everything is perfectly understood.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, in cases of people like this you are almost begging them to talk because you hear so little out of them.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 AM

im like this around people i dont know well (or are just aquaintances)...but once i get to know people or find a commond interest i become much more social...
Old 11-14-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im like this around people i dont know well (or are just aquaintances)...but once i get to know people or find a commond interest i become much more social...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say I'm like the person I describe in my OP around people I don't know, but more than enough people have shocked me when they told me that I'm really shy. I feel around my good friends I can't shut up.

This is obviously something that everyone has, but not as many people take it to such lengths.

I feel that I like my current friends and don't really need/care for new ones. Weird.