Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Weak betting patterns in HOH

I'm about half way through this and there are bits that I really like, the important bits I guess, but I do have one critism, and that is that the betting patterns seem far to weak. If you are a very good player, which harrington clearly is you may be able to navigate the tricky decisions placed in your way by underbetting the pot, and a 'weak'(i hate calling it weak but cant think of a better word, its not that the strategy is weak, it can be a good strategy, just the bets are) strategy can be as profitable as an aggressive strategy, but it isnt the only way and is far from the normal way.

My critisism isnt so much with the fact that he advocates betting small as this can be a valid strategy providing you balance this carefull with your bluffing, in fact it is good to read an alternative approach to the close to the pot sized betting reccomended in most books. My main critisism is that most of the opponents in the hands I have read so far also bet in the same half pot or less betting, which happens but is far from a standard bet to be facing in most games, and makes a lot of the examples seem unrealistic, both because the oppenents action isnt of a standard type, and also the opponents reactions against a player who plays an underbetting strategy will also be different.

Since all I have read on here is praise, and dont get me wrong, I think a lot of it is great, and it is good to see a different approac written out so well, but does anyone else out there think that most of the action in the book is weak?

One note I should add is that I dont play tourneys, and was reading this book mostly because many posters here said it applied equally to cash games, I think in a tourney a underbetting strategy may be much more usefull than in a cash game where if you go broke you can just rebuy (and your opponents can do the same themselves so may make calls they wouldnt in a tourney).

Anyway, this wasnt meant as a flame I just wanted to hear if anyone else had any oppinions on this?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Weak betting patterns in HOH

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, this wasnt meant as a flame I just wanted to hear if anyone else had any oppinions on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read Mason's article? Here is the first paragraph (emphasis added):

[ QUOTE ]
I'm writing this towards the end of the final event of the World Series of Poker. During the past week, both Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie have been in town. Since I've been working closely with them on their books, we've had many discussions concerning no limit hold'em tournament strategy. There are two points, both covered in depth in the Harrington books, that I thought I would mention here: not betting more than is necessary and being willing to pull the trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]