Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Flop trips in BB. Help please.

I have been playing for few months.
This hand bothers me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t725)
Hero (t1955)
UTG (t910)
UTG+1 (t2440)
UTG+2 (t4945)
MP1 (t2173)
MP2 (t2035)
MP3 (t580)
CO (t2570)
Button (t2013)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t225) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t1425) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero check, CO is all-in.

what to do?

thanks in advance
Old 12-22-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Flop trips in BB. Help please.

No read on the villain?

Well, without a read, I make this call any day of the week, I don't think he plays the flop like that with a Q or a flopped boat.

Think about it, imagine you are the villain here and you have AQ, you raise pf and flop trips.
The chances of your opponent holding the case Q are tiny. Also you are up against a BB playing nearly for free and who checked the flop, so all indications are he would be perfectly willing to give up the pot right there.
Do you then bet 200 into a pot of 225? Seems very unlikely.

Of course, the CO might be tricky, or maybe he has KK and passed you on the turn, I'm not saying you've got a lock on the hand.

What I'm saying I think it's unlikely you're beat and you're getting just over 2:1 to call, so I think it's pretty easy call, especially absent of a specific read on the villain.

What bothers you about this hand exactly?

Remember, as davidross alluded to in a hand posted earlier tonight, the hardest decisions you'll have to make at the table often come when you're playing for free from the BB. Also keep in mind that you're going to have to make some tough lay downs if you're ever going to be a great player, but at the same time, you can't always give people credit and play weak-tight, because people will run over you.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:06 AM

fold preflop.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh right, that too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 07:14 AM

a couple of hands before this one.
I check raised all-in on the flop and doubled up with an overpair.
villain commented.

these are his stats for 50 hands.
saw flop: 34%
action on the flop:
raise - 8.7%
bet - 8.7%
call - 17%
check/fold - 65%

villian likes to talk a lot. I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying.

one notable hand. he reraised all-in preflop with QTs against AA. runner runner and doubled up.

I am not sure if any of that means much.

Thanks. what you said makes a lot of sense. I think I am at a point where I am thinking too much. A month ago, I would have shoved all my chips in without hesitation.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:37 AM

The one thing I dont like about your play is CO bets, you raise, he reraised. This is where I just push all-in, you have a set, and barring any other read, I think you are way ahead. You are way behind 77 and Q7 on the flop and KK on the turn. 77 makes sense with the min raise but if he has a boat, it just isnt your day. However, if CO does have Q7 or 77, why bet 200 into a pot of 225 with a made hand?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 PM

betting 200 on the flop. what do you put him on?

what would be his likely action if he had a Q or 77?

so you are saying, if you flop trips, the correct play is all-in no matter what. if you are beat, so be it.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM

Your betting on the flop is like that commercial for "the Ringer" where knoxville is sitting with the other tards and they go "west side, east side...other side".

Ie awful. Don't min raise, ever. You can't min raise him, it should have been at least 600. When he raises you, you push. Min raising, especially here screams "I have a monster, pay me". Villian also is screaming "I have a high pair" pf w/ his min raise, which is why I would expect him to flip over AA or KK when I call his all in and suck him out. But he deserved it for min raising PF, instead of raising more and making you fold.

There's no way I'm not going all the way on this hand if I'm given the chance.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing I dont like about your play is CO bets, you raise, he reraised. This is where I just push all-in, you have a set, and barring any other read, I think you are way ahead. You are way behind 77 and Q7 on the flop and KK on the turn. 77 makes sense with the min raise but if he has a boat, it just isnt your day. However, if CO does have Q7 or 77, why bet 200 into a pot of 225 with a made hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

A set is when you have a pair in the hole. OP has trips.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 PM

couldn't agree more. awful.

but i was

[ QUOTE ]
Min raising, especially here screams "I have a monster, pay me".

[/ QUOTE ]

why did he reraise all-in? is he more amateurish than me?