Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-27-2005, 04:57 AM

Default check behind on turn to get paid off on river?

In a 10/20 NL game at the Commerce, I found AA and made it $100 preflop. One guy called behind me and a tight player in the BB called. We all have about $3000.

The flop was K78 rainbow. BB checks, I bet $300, next guy folds, BB hesitates and calls. My read is that he has specifically KQ, KJ, KT, or less likely AK. Turn is a 2 and he checks.

I think if I bet big on the turn, he will likely fold. However if I check and an innocuous card comes on the river, he might either make a big bet into me, or he will check, and pay off a big bet by me.

Given my read, anyone else like a turn check?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: check behind on turn to get paid off on river?

just an FYI but a check here is actually the standard ABC play.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a 10/20 NL game at the Commerce, I found AA and made it $100 preflop. One guy called behind me and a tight player in the BB called. We all have about $3000.

The flop was K78 rainbow. BB checks, I bet $300, next guy folds, BB hesitates and calls. My read is that he has specifically KQ, KJ, KT, or less likely AK. Turn is a 2 and he checks.

I think if I bet big on the turn, he will likely fold. However if I check and an innocuous card comes on the river, he might either make a big bet into me, or he will check, and pay off a big bet by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever hear of way ahead/way behind?

Check is good here.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 AM

I like the turn check. This loses only if he catches one of 5 outs if you weren't already behind. But this wins big in several other scenarios.

If you bet the turn, he's likely to fold any hand he's behind. However, if you're ahead, you stand to gain a big bet on the river either by calling his river bet or betting if he checks to you.

If you were wrong about your read and his hesitation was whether or not to slowplay a set, then you lose less and get to see a showdown.

The big bonus is if he has a set, and you catch a river A. Then you will have checked your way to a double up.

The benefits outweigh the negatives on this one.

Garland
Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 AM

A lot of it depends on how you two have been playing each other and the table. In a vaccuum, checking behind is standard, but I'll often bet if I've been double-barrel bluffing a lot.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most tight players dont call a 5 BB raise in the BB with KJ / KT. All the more reason to check the turn after getting called on the flop.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:32 PM

thanks for responses.

results: I checked behind on the turn. a low card came on the river. He checked, I bet $500, and he called. I showed AA and he mucked.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:11 PM

i thought you said you were going to make a big bet on the river...?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

I dont like a turn check, you're giving him a free card, and if he doesnt bet/pay off the river, your plan is foiled. Also, those times when the river comes a Q, J, 10, or K you'll be in an awkward spot given your read.

I think this play works better with a set than a pair, IMO.

Tex
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this play would be really bad with a set IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp