Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Too passive with AK unimproved?

No read on villian cause he only had 15 hand in PT, he's done nothing special, but does seem to be a little loose pf, I have a tight image, but aggressive and good defense of sb vs. bb.

My question is on the turn, after looking back, I think that's it's a mandatory bet by hero. I think a nice pot size bet takes this down a lot, and if called usually vs. 1 pair and have tons of outs. And if villian ck raises, well....heads up, reevaluate, I don't think I run into set/2 pair that often though. I could be wrong. Appreciate your guys thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($1000)
UTG ($1694)
MP ($2680.47)
CO ($980)
Button ($190.75)
SB ($809.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB calls $30.

Flop: ($80) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, SB calls $55.

Turn: ($190) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ?????

results in white:

<font color="white"> Hero checked behind on turn, river 2, villian checks hero checks villian shows 4,6o for pair of 4's and wins pot </font>
Old 11-18-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Too passive with AK unimproved?

Depends upon feel, i pot it somtimes, sometimes i check behind.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:59 AM

I like half-potting on turn if you're going to call on the flop and checking behind on river if he calls turn unless you improve.

Also, raise more PF?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:06 AM

i dont think checking it back was that bad, but id probably usually fire out 150 on the turn, and check down the A-high if unimproved on the river.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 AM

only because you dont have any stats on villian i check the turn.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, raise more PF?

[/ QUOTE ]he raised a ton preflop....notice how it's a blind war and pot is $80 on flop ($40 each preflop). If anything, raise less...if you make it a full pot, it'd be $30 each.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Ordinarily you check behind when you've picked up a very good draw, think your opponent is trapping with a monster, and don't want to be blasted out of a pot.

I think that the fact that an overcard fell on the turn means you should bet out. Villain has to be afraid of the queen if all he holds is a pair of jacks. IMO any hand that villain is check-raising doesn't fear the queen and thus can beat one pair. So you have four outs vs. a check-raise, which is not really worth writing home about.

IMO you're better off betting out and trying to take down this pot again, and if you're check-raised you can drop without too much worry.

If the ten had dropped on the turn, giving you the same draw, then checking behind would be better, because the likelihood of a check-raise is higher, and he's not going to fear the ten like he fears the queen.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 PM

VERY GOOD post creed, I agree with you 100%, T take the free card, Q bet again. Thanks, replies like this is the EXACT reason I post on here, and to the guy that said, raise more, ummm....feel free to not reply to my posts, LOL.