Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Recap of Upgrade Issues

I think that I have a fair idea of the four major areas that need to be addressed, so perhaps this recap will be useful.

1) Threaded Mode

There is a lot of confusion over the order in which posts are currently being displayed in threaded mode. I was initially put off by this, but after some getting used to, it really is a better way to view posts in that mode. The most recent replies are bumped to the top, and one no longer has to scroll all the way down to view the most recent entry. This is a plus, but people will not like it for awhile just because it is different from what they are used to.

Now, one minus of the new threaded mode is the lack of highlighted unread posts. The new icon gives that information, but it was much easier to spot unread posts with the previous method. Hopefully this can be changed back to the way it was before the upgrade.

2) Thread Subjects Open The Most Recent Post

This applies to both threaded and flat modes. When clicking on a subject, it is preferable to have it display the original post (or page in flat mode). People seem to miss this, and I'm one of them.

There is a "Last post" column to the right of the thread subject that has always been a solid way of jumping to the last post. Before the upgrade, this gave you the option of which post you wanted to view. You could click the poster's name in the right column if you want to see the most recent post, or select the subject to view the OP.

Now you only have one option. This is obviously a minus.
Hopefully something can be done about it.

3) The "Back" Button

Every browser has one, so I'll just assume you readers know what I mean. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Using the back button has become a bit of a headache. For instance, if I hit the back button on my mouse by accident right now, I'd lose this entire post. Before you could accidently hit this button and just go back to the post with the "forward" button.

Also, people often used the back button to retrieve information while they were in the middle of writing a post. We would need a quote or something, and going back to get it from wherever used to be no problem. Now, it's more of a hassle because one has to keep an extra window or tab open to get this information. Another way around it to use a word processor to save your unfinished posts.

But finding a way to deal with it isn't the solution most people want here. Is it possible to fix this problem?

A more minor issue connected to the back button happens when you go back to the previous page, your view is no longer focused where it used to be. You know, like when you are viewing the main page, click OOT, and then press back. The view no longer goes back to the bottom when you does this. Instead, it snaps back to the top of the page. This is more of a minor gripe than the previous issue with the back button, but I suspect they are connected.

4) The Search Function

This seems to be the thing people are complaining about the most. Apparently users now have a limit to how often they can search in a set period of time. This is not a horrible thing, IMO, because it undoubtedly increases performance. However, it would probably be a good idea to increase the limit a bit. Chuck and Mat could even play around with it for a few weeks to strike a good balance between performance and frustration.

Minor Issues:

The PM limit is not a big deal, but you guys might want to play around with the number.

Some people don't like the little post icons that indicate read/unread posts. I don't really see this being a big concern. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some connection with this and the previously mentioned issue with unread posts no longer being highlighted. It might be a 'one or the other' type of setting.

I believe that's it!
Hopefully this post helps in some small way.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Recap of Upgrade Issues

I'm alerting Chuck. He is the man that understands the ramifications/pros/cons etc. of etc.

I'm just hanging around to paint a n ame or two
Old 10-31-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This applies to both threaded and flat modes. When clicking on a subject, it is preferable to have it display the original post (or page in flat mode).

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat mode has always defaulted to showing the oldest "new" post, and I much prefer it that way. However, now that there's a link to do that within the thread, I could deal.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This applies to both threaded and flat modes. When clicking on a subject, it is preferable to have it display the original post (or page in flat mode).

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat mode has always defaulted to showing the oldest "new" post, and I much prefer it that way. However, now that there's a link to do that within the thread, I could deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wanted to edit that but my time had already expired. All my time using threaded mode made me a bit ignorant of some of the previous flat defaults. I mainly wanted to correct the part about both modes displaying the last post. It actually jumps to the oldest 'new' post, as you said.

I obviously wouldn't mind if the OP gets shown in threaded mode, though. I know a lot of us threaded users miss it. But after thinking it over, it wouldn't be an awful thing if this never got changed back. I suspect all of us threaded types would get used to the 'jump to the oldest unread post' style fairly quickly. But I do prefer it the other way. You can consider this issue moved to my list of minor issues, big wigs. It's probably something you can keep, but people won't like it for a few weeks.

Damn, my correction kind of ruins the point of my OP. I was hoping to create one solid post for chuck and mat to reference. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 AM

5. Some posts I've already read appear to be unread/new in threaded mode.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM

That might be because they were edited.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM

No, I can read a post, leave the forum, come back right away and it's still appearing as new. Even if I do this like 6 times in one minute. It only happens to some posts and it appears to be random.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM

Default dont see ANY new posts this morning

i just logged on for the first time today and every single "folder" in the mid high limit forum is white for me.

Barron
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 PM

That might be related to the old bug where no "new" posts you read were not being logged as read. Log out and log back in to the site and it should be back to normal.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:23 PM

Posts in the "Favorite Posts" list become update with a *New!* icon when I am the last person to have posted in said post. Before the upg my posts wouldn't count towards the *New!* icon.

Surf