Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:51 PM

Default should you trap with AK late in a tourney?

I was just thinking about a situation that comes up late in online tournaments. Let's say it's in the money with 3 tables left. The blinds and antes are so high that someone is open-pushing nearly ever hand. Let's say you have about 10 BBs - say $120K and the blinds are 6K/12K/600 ante. You pick up AK in a middle spot and it's folded to you. Is this an auto-push every time? Or, do you want to make a smaller raise to $30K or so, intending to call any reraise?

In the past I have always shoved in this spot. I want to send the message that "I have a big hand, so dont try a resteal." However, if you raise smaller, maybe someone will make a move with QsJs or AT, hands over which you are a favorite. Thus you'll be in a better spot to double up, rather than just win the blinds and antes. On the other hand, someone may reraise with a small pair like 44, and you will have a coin flip, when they would have folded that 44 if you pushed. It's a riskier play, but could it be worth it in order to break through the field and build a final-table stack?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: should you trap with AK late in a tourney?

IMO, trying to trap gets you in trouble more often than it helps you. I see people sometimes late in a tourney (had it happen once yesterday in the 2+2 NA vs. EU) try to trap with AA preflop, and it sometimes ends up biting them for doing that. AK is a hand that loves to see all 5 cards, and with that stack, raising 1/4th of your stack is only good if you think that they will either fold to you, or if you think they will come over the top with a lessor hand.

Personally, I don't think making that raise there is trapping, but if you limped with it on the assumption someone will raise and get the bb checking then raising all in on the flop on a 10 high board, you made a big mistake.

I'd push there still, but putting in a decent raise hoping someone raises pf with a worse hand wouldn't be bad either. Just depends on how aggressive the table has been I guess.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:19 PM

The thing is, picking up 24k is pretty sweet for you at this stage, so don't be too bummed about that result. In fact, just push and hope someone is willing to look you up with AQ/AJ.

If I trap with AK late... well, first, I need more chips than you have (probably about twice your stack as it stands); second, I probably limp/RR all-in; third, I have to know someone behind me is going to raise it up with a worse hand if I limp.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM

I never do it because unless you trap a guy who also has an ace you're not an overwhelming favorite. But I've seen it more and more lately and have fallen victim to it.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM

Hey toro, off topic, but what was that hand that you folded when I raised you all in when you said "I got a decent hand here"?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:29 PM

I dont think you should make a smallish raise. If you have AA or KK then you could go for the trap, but not AK. Youre still probably going to get called by 99-AA and AQ maybe even AJ from a very short stack who hopes he is in a race.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey toro, off topic, but what was that hand that you folded when I raised you all in when you said "I got a decent hand here"?

[/ QUOTE ]

K9 suited. As it turned out, I should have called because my patience didn't pay off as I didn't find a hand before being forced to go all-in with Q high.

What was I up against.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM

Not with AK, mostly because you're forced to fold on a ragged flop that your opponent bets at - also allow stop n gos. With 10xBB, you shove.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds and antes are so high that someone is open-pushing nearly ever hand. Let's say you have about 10 BBs - say $120K and the blinds are 6K/12K/600 ante. You pick up AK in a middle spot and it's folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't slowplay AK here, in fact I don't think there is any hand I slowplay in this situation. First off, if open-pushing is the status-quo, I wouldn't want to send up any red flags with a monster hand. Secondly, just picking up the blinds/antes is a nice boost at this position.
Unless I have a read on a player still to act (say a very aggro big stack in the BB who has been often coming over the top to protect), I would just push it all in.

I would check out HoH II p. 35. Harrington talks about slow-playing pf, and mentions that the conditions for doing so are rare (full table, EP, AA/KK/sometimes QQ, laggy table).
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM

I'm not kidding when I tell you this, but I had A9 of hearts there, so you were dominated, just not as much.