Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Default 22 20-40 hand

im having trouble finding interesting limit hold em hands to post lately. maybe this one is worth posting?

i had 22 in a good southern calif live 20-40 full game. i limped in mp after 1 awful limper, next player (abel, who tries to play well but is not educated) limped, next player (seth, who is one of the best limit hold em players i play with regularly, but who admittedly sometimes tilts, and likes to play pai gow so he has some gamble) raises, a couple people call the raise including at least one of the blinds. everyone else calls, at least 6 players see the flop. it should be noted that although seth has just recently come into the game he is playing more hands than normal.

flop is Ks9d2s. checked to me and i bet, abel raises, seth calls two, folded to me and i 3 bet, both call.

the turn is Qd. i bet, abel calls, seth raises, i 3 bet, both call.

the river is Ad. how should i play this street?

comments on other streets would be good too.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: 22 20-40 hand

bet/3bet
Old 10-08-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im having trouble finding interesting limit hold em hands to post lately. maybe this one is worth posting?

i had 22 in a good southern calif live 20-40 full game. i limped in mp after 1 awful limper, next player (abel, who tries to play well but is not educated) limped, next player (seth, who is one of the best limit hold em players i play with regularly, but who admittedly sometimes tilts, and likes to play pai gow so he has some gamble) raises, a couple people call the raise including at least one of the blinds. everyone else calls, at least 6 players see the flop. it should be noted that although seth has just recently come into the game he is playing more hands than normal.

flop is Ks9d2s. checked to me and i bet, abel raises, seth calls two, folded to me and i 3 bet, both call.

the turn is Qd. i bet, abel calls, seth raises, i 3 bet, both call.

the river is Ad. how should i play this street?

comments on other streets would be good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it, what are you trying to find here? You flopped a set on a semi-scary multi-way board that had the potential to be a very big pot (which it has become), then the river is either a bet call-a-raise or check-call.

Seth, if you say he is the best, knows you either have 22 or 99 here. So I don't see much on how the Ad could help him. Abel seems like he's got a weak King, or possibly hit the ace with his diamond draw but even he has to know that TP is no good on the river after being confronted with your aggression.

The more I think about it, the more I like a bet here and pay off a raise. If Seth has AA, so be it.

I like the other streets, they seem fine.

Lawrence
Old 10-08-2005, 09:45 AM

Bet/call river (but I find it very unlikely you'll be raised the way the hand played out)...didn't find the hand very controversial other than I'd probably fold pf unless limping multiway was the norm for the game.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:16 AM

i think betting this river is clearly best, but i'm not sure whether its to 3-bet or just call a potential raise.

seth's 3 most likely hands in order imo are KQ, AK and AA.

i doubt he raises KQ. AK *might* see a raise on this river and obviously AA will.

so if faced with a raise:
there are 9 combinations of AK and 3 combinations of AA, so it's 3:1 that he has AK (assuming of course he raises AK 100% of the time). If he doesn't raise 100% of the time you have to adjust to how frequently you think he would raise to see whether or not 3betting becomes correct.

so obviously you know this guy's skills and his habits better than we do, so 3-betting is really up to you...
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 AM

Hmmm. Looks pretty standard. Preflop is typically a fold but I'm sure you are good enough to recognize the situations where it's right and the 6 way flop certainly confirms your choice.

River, I bet and call a raise, expecting to win a decent percentage of the time. If able is still in, calling the raise is clearly better than 3-betting, as you of course go for the overcall and avoid the 4-bet risk. Without the 3rd guy still in, I still prefer a call, although if your opponent will usually raise AK it's probably close.

-eric
Old 10-08-2005, 02:15 PM

bet and call raise
Old 10-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Default results

i bet, abel folded what he later said was a spade draw, and seth raised. i called and he showed me Td8d for the rivered flush.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
i bet, abel folded what he later said was a spade draw, and seth raised. i called and he showed me Td8d for the rivered flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to post but decided to peak here. You played good. My comment was going to be any river line is fine that doesn't include three-betting or folding to a raise. You don't want to put yourself in a situation where you might be folding in such a big pot.

~ Rick
Old 10-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: results

i wouldve played the river the same way you did and i dont see any other way to play it really...
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, he is the best...