Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-06-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Enjoy my Poker Blog

There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8

lol...i came in 12th in an PLO8 last night and really had little clue how...sometimes after an individual hand even. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that at some point its important to learn other games. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8. I just think I have too much that I need to learn in holdem games to worry about those games yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) They're a lot of fun and a change of pace, which would help with some of the boredom problems that it sounds like you're having.

2) Irie has said, and I agree, that you learn a lot about poker in general by playing a wider range of games.

3) It's fun.

I like stud and stud/8, they feel like less of a grind to me than other forms of limit poker.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that at some point its important to learn other games. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8. I just think I have too much that I need to learn in holdem games to worry about those games yet.

Since I already have some knowledge in this area, it should be easier to pick those up. Although really I never really had huge success in ring games, almost all of my bankroll was built through tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned to play PLO just because it sounded fun, and then fell in love with the game. So, for a few years I played mostly (almost exclusievely) pot-limit omaha and PLO-8 on line.

Then, when the holdem craze hit I had to switch back to holdem to take advantage of the money... and I found that somehow my PL holdem game was better than it ever was.

Now PLHE is far and away my best game even though I have played fewer hands of that game than either PLO or NLHE.

I guess my point is that I think by learning other games you may stumble upon skills that can sharpen your ability in all games... and you may find that you excel particularly in one game.

Some "famous" examples of this type of learning would be Phil Ivey, Paul Darden, and Ted Forrest. All three of those guys probably played less than 10% of their hands in holdem each year until 2002. Now, those guys would all make most people's top-20 lists in NLHE.

I guess i'm just interested in why you feel it wouldn't help your overall progress.

Irieguy
Old 10-07-2005, 12:07 AM

Great Blog....keep us posted!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 AM

looks pretty cool. how often do you plan on playing? do you give yourself vacations whenever you want?

i can relate to your hitting a big upswing (mine was relatively very large for myself) and then getting ridiculously lazy. it's hard to explain since it's like giving up money, but there's just no drive.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 AM

It would likely help my progress and I will probably incorporate them very shortly.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looks pretty cool. how often do you plan on playing? do you give yourself vacations whenever you want?

i can relate to your hitting a big upswing (mine was relatively very large for myself) and then getting ridiculously lazy. it's hard to explain since it's like giving up money, but there's just no drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of things come up for me, so Im going to have to take time off here and there. But I'll try to play as many days as I can.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8

lol...i came in 12th in an PLO8 last night and really had little clue how...sometimes after an individual hand even. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a live Omaha/8 tourney once on the Pokerstars Cruise, because I was a stupid moron. In any case I won a hand against a pro player, and he made some comment about how I had some type of hand. I can't remember what he said but I basically had no idea what he was talking about, all I knew was I had a full house and there was no low on the board. But I also had to pretend like I knew how to play, so I basically ignored him (I think I unconfidently nodded and said...yeah), and he seemed kind of offended.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:20 AM

best of luck, if you can keep this up, 2006 should be a very very profitable year for you. so what do you do with your winnings? stocks, money market, briefcases in the closet?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
best of luck, if you can keep this up, 2006 should be a very very profitable year for you. so what do you do with your winnings? stocks, money market, briefcases in the closet?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little of everything. I suspect the most profitable thing would be to play as many sit and gos as possible all the time, but its pretty boring too to do it all the time.