Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Too much? - A8s

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe what I'm reading...no doubt that your suggested play will improve your chances of winning...but that doesn't make it correct.

You have very little chance to win this pot. I think you should fold as soon as the BB bets into you on the turn.

-ropey

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really hoping you missed the fact that shant picked up an extra 9 outs on the turn.

Rob
Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really hoping you missed the fact that shant picked up an extra 9 outs on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I most certainly was. That makes a little more sense. Thanks.

-ropey
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you'd be hard pressed to find a typical opponent who is able to fold an overpair in this spot. i'd guess QQ and KK are almost never folding, and JJ-TT are calling down like 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a great point. At first I thought, great he bet again, now I can blow UTG+1 off of his overpair, but I think I overestimated how often they'll lay it down. Also, another thing to consider is what BB is stop-n-going the turn with.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you are called, do you value bet the river if it's checked to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely behind UTG+1, and I'm not sure where I stand with the BB, so I'm not putting in any bets on the river unless I improve.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 AM

No. Call instead. You risk a 3-bet. And who wants a free showdown anyway? He will keep betting his overpair when you river your flush and you can raise then.

EDIT: Btw, since that card completed no draws, there is no way he's folding his overpair on the chance that you hit two pair or a set.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I open-raise ATs and A9s pretty much automatically, so I wasn't sure about this one, which is part of the reason I titled it that way. I guess it's not so good readless.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO BANGO BONGO! That ladies and gentlemen is the power of poker, all brought to you by the joy that is the 2+2 forums!

....christ, gotta love watching the WPT late night.

Anyway, yeah read less I dont make this raise with A9s/A8s...maybe ATs.

Anyway I call this turn, last to act I like a raise, but at that point villian has probably popped it already, so 3-bettng would be no good. Eh, I call. No benefits to a raise and Villian isnt folding....yet.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 AM

I would just call preflop if the table is loose otherwise I'd fold. On the flop I would just call and call the inevitable raise from UTG+1's QQ; you can do this as you'll effectively be getting 6.75:1 to hit a 5.5--6.5 outer with implied odds. On the turn, I just call as it smells like the BB has 87 and you'll have to call his 3-bet with the flush draw. Fold the river if you don't hit aces up or the flush.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fifth or eighth hand in so it's readless.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not nuts about preflop. Ballsy turn.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just call preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is what I should have done because the table had been going multi-way preflop. I think A8s is pushing it UTG.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I would just call and call the inevitable raise from UTG+1's QQ;

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't tell if this is a joke since I told you the results, or if you would just call the flop anyway. I raised to knock out overcards.

I think I've been convinced that calling the turn is better.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 PM

UTG+1 thought for a sec and called cold. BB 3-bet, I called, UTG+1 called. River was a black 2, BB checked, I checked, UTG+1 checked.

BB - 78o
UTG+1 wins with QQ.

You guys were right about folding out big pairs. I think calling the turn is best. Maybe even calling the flop too.