Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:50 PM

Default couple of hands from stars $215

Here’s a couple of hands from the Stars $215 that I found difficult:

1. Early on, blinds are 50/100, I have 4000. I post the 50 small blind. Three limpers and I complete the SB with 56o. Big blind checks. The flop is

2d 4d 6c

Should I lead out (into 4 people) or check here? If I check, and someone bets the size of the pot, how should I proceed?

2. Later on, I have 4500 chips and the blinds are 75/150. I pick up 88 in middle position and make it 450. A guy named “bet2win” flats call behind me. He has 8500. (I think he’s a top tourney player, but I’m not sure.) Pot is now 1125. The flop is

Js 7s 2

I bet 1000 trying to show strength. Bet2win flat calls. The turn is an offsuit 3. I didn’t like his flat call, so I check. He thinks for a long time. Then he pushes. I have about 3000 left, which is plenty of chips if I fold. I figure he could have the following hands: AsKs/AsQs, AJ, or a set. He is either semibluffing or he has me beat. Should I look him up?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: couple of hands from stars $215

1: that's a tough hand. i think pretty much any line you could take (check/fold, c/r, check/call, bet/call, bet/fold) would not be too bad.

i think checking is best. if there's a bet and a raise behind you, you can fold comfortably. if a relatively short stack bets, you can c/r a-i. if you check and someone with a comparable stack bets, i'd fold. it's going to be impossible to extract a lot more if you're ahead, and you're at risk of getting moved off the best hand if you don't improve. also, villain is guaranteed to have 6 outs. and depending on where the bet comes from, you might be risking a c/r behind you.

calling a small bet would be good though.

a couple questions: do you have a diamond? what are rough stack sizes of villains?

2:
[ QUOTE ]
I figure he could have the following hands: AsKs/AsQs, AJ, or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's the range that you think he has, it's an easy fold. i think the only way you can call this is if he often has hands like AxQx or 44 and his plan was to call the flop and push if you only fired one continuation bet. unless you have that good a read, you've gotta let it go.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: couple of hands from stars $215

bet2win is probably one of the 10 best players on the site, so I'd probably just let him walk over me and fold

hand 1 I think you need to lead out or check/fold.