Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Default sam farha vs. (unknown) day1 wsop

So my brother and me were talking about this hand.. and we couldn't figure it out.. so i came here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Basics:
1. Farha has 22,000 chips approx. and uknown has 10,000 chips approx.
2. Uknown makes it 1,000 to go when blinds are 25-50 (20x the BB) hes in EP (he makes it fairly obvious he has AA/KK)
3. sammy calls in MP with 33

Normally you would call a normal raise with a small pocket pair and hope to catch a set or maybe just sneak in MP/LP with a call. There are a lot of ways to play medium pocket pairs.. im not here to discuss that.

What im wondering is do u think sammy's call was correct? The way sammy plays.. it probably was fine in his eyes...

The question to everyone who doesn't see like every flop like sammy does, is was this an ok play?

Some of the points that we stated are as follows:
although the preflop odds are 7.5-to-1 against flopping a set... assuming farha knows(he probably does know..) that this idiot(is he?) just told everyone he has AA or KK. Farha called about 5% of his stack to try and connect on a 7.5-1 chance he would flop a set... assuming farha wouldnt call another bet after the flop... since the guy did bet fairly large(maybe pot size? or 75% of the pot.. i dont remember..) So implied odds come into play here because the unknown is most likely not folding his aces to any flop with a small exception to like 10JQ all suited and not his suit. So sammy put in 1,000 chips to win 10,000 chips i think.. and in my opinion i think his play was fine with me... because not only does he know what the unknown is holding.. he has the right implied odds to make the call... Anyone else add on anything here or correct some stuff?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: sam farha vs. (unknown) day1 wsop

I thought Sammy had 33? I thought it was a bad call but I guess that's Sammy's style.

If you think about it, Sammy fell right into the guys trap...but the poker gods would have none of that.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 AM

sam is a fish
Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 AM

But what about the implied odds here?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Sammy had 33? I thought it was a bad call but I guess that's Sammy's style.

If you think about it, Sammy fell right into the guys trap...but the poker gods would have none of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was a pretty easy call by sammy so long as he had the read that the guy would go broke w/ AA-QQ on a ragged flop.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:35 AM

sidenote: if you ever watch the Travel Channel's Vegas shows, that was the guy who claims to be an expert video poker player, and knows all the odds. He's written some gambling books. I'm sure someone remembers his name, but I don't...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM

I doubt Sammy makes that call if he does not double up on the first hand. I was actually somewhat impressed with Sammy's game. Altho, I am not sure I'd play 33 and 92s. The funny thing was how honest he was with the table about his holdings.

I thought Daniel N. had some awesome laydowns too.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sidenote: if you ever watch the Travel Channel's Vegas shows, that was the guy who claims to be an expert video poker player, and knows all the odds. He's written some gambling books. I'm sure someone remembers his name, but I don't...

[/ QUOTE ]

i've seen it. his on a bunch of shows about gambling on the travel channel. his name is stanely wong or steven lee or some sh1t like that.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt Sammy makes that call if he does not double up on the first hand. I was actually somewhat impressed with Sammy's game. Altho, I am not sure I'd play 33 and 92s. The funny thing was how honest he was with the table about his holdings.

I thought Daniel N. had some awesome laydowns too.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was honest but they don't know that, he could be saying he had the best hand every damn time since he wasn't showing them. Of course in these cases he did have the best hand. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 AM

Sam Farha's call is perfect, when you consider the situation:

1) Farha has plenty of chips, having doubled up earlier. Survival isn't a concern when making this call.

2) Opponent has just made a ridiculously large raise - it is nearly certain he makes this play only because he's scared of being sucked out on, and he has AA or KK. Given that we know this, the reverse implied odds are huge - the opponent may as well has flipped his cards over for us.

3) An opponent who makes such a foolishly large raise is likely to make another foolish play and put all his money in on the flop.

Given these factors, Farha is likely getting 10-1 on his money when looking at the implied odds; when he hits his 3 (about 7.5-1 against), his opponent will almost always go broke. Given this, his call is a smart play in my book.