Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Played internet poker for the first time today!

I consider myself to be a decent poker player in live games, so today I decided to try my luck on internet poker, PartyPoker.com specifically. I bought in the minimum of $50 dollars and started off with some single table $10 Sit N' Go tournaments.

During the first tournament I played two pots the entire time. I got absolute rags and only won a single pot, the first one which put me at a comfortable 1100, 300 above starting chips. This was enough to sit through the rags and slide into third place.

During the second tournament I still got rags but decided to play more aggressive and began to take a lot of pots with shear bluffs. Besides a few lucky turns or rivers, and a few decent hands I got rags that entire tournament and managed to take first. I was very happy.

During the third tournament I got rags again [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and was only able to obtain fourth place, no payout.

At this point I have played for about 2 and 1/2 hours and my bankroll is at $98. I ventured into cash games which was a mistake. Within another 4 hours of play between the Limit .5/1 games and NL .15(?)/.25 I lost my entire bankroll. I rarely got a decent hand, and when I did it seemed like people were hanging on with small things even when I Was betting 3x the BB, and then hit big [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] .

My impressions so far is that online poker is very fun, but something that I have a LOT to learn about. As I stated earlier I consider myself to be a decent live game player, I play 2 to 3 times a week for about 4 hours at a time with friends and almost always profit.

I plan on coming back to online poker but I am going to do what I usually do when I have a bad night, bad run of cards, take a couple days off. During these days I am hoping to read a ton of material on online play, so I come here, please give me advice for online play and point me in the direction of some good articles! Also, what do I need to do to get some decent cards! Literally first tournament 2 pots played, lost the 2nd one which knocked me out of the tourney! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Played internet poker for the first time today!

So they have poker on the internet now?

Crazy talk.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 AM

Ok man, I am not looking for flames, some of my friends play internet poker and I couldn't try it out because of my connection but I recently got cable so I decided to try it, just looking for help.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:07 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I'd check out the FAQ/sticky posts in the forums you are interested in. The search tool here is good too.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my bankroll is at $98.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limit .5/1 games and NL .15(?)/.25

[/ QUOTE ]
this is your problem.
[ QUOTE ]
I lost my entire bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is usually the result (oh and i stopped reading here too).
Old 09-11-2005, 01:21 AM

Ok here's the shocker, really GREAT poker players STILL have nights where they lose money, in fact, sometimes they still lose big.

Poker, hold em specifically, has a high degree of variance, and only with ALOT of good play and a sufficient bankroll can a player actually make a profit.

Make sure you read or have read all the appropriate required poker reading, decide what you want to play (is it NL SNG's? NL bigger tournies? NL cash? Limit cash?) because EVERY SINGLE variety I listed has a completely different style/feel/techniques you must use to beat it.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok here's the shocker, really GREAT poker players STILL have nights where they lose money, in fact, sometimes they still lose big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, fish
Old 09-11-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Poker, hold em specifically, has a high degree of variance, and only with ALOT of good play and a sufficient bankroll can a player actually make a profit.

Make sure you read or have read all the appropriate required poker reading, decide what you want to play (is it NL SNG's? NL bigger tournies? NL cash? Limit cash?) because EVERY SINGLE variety I listed has a completely different style/feel/techniques you must use to beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats why everytime I take a hit I try to take a few days off so that I don't take another hit and wind up going on tilt. It's just internet poker is so much different than live games, I definately need to do some research [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just internet poker is so much different than live games

[/ QUOTE ]
not too much, maybe a little. the main thing is the amount of hands, b/c you are now seing 4X the amount of hands if you only play one table and not even multitabling so whatever leaks you have in your game are no exposed at 4X the rate they were at your live game. plus the players are probably better than your live game (it sounds like it was a home game) so they can expose these leaks that are now being exposed at a faster rate, combine this with you playing in games well above your bankroll and you will always lose your money.

you have the right attitude though. post some hands in the micro's, read all the forums and read everything you can get your hands on. just be a sponge.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:48 AM

go [censored] yourself... that was not funny, creative, or helpful