Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Current videos without table cams?

Some of us were discussing TV/videos of poker events, and we'd all gotten bored with the omnipresent table-cam. It was cute at first, but poker ain't poker if get to see what everyone is holdin' and foldin' in advance.

I believe that years ago they didn't use table cams or on-screen card displays until at the end of the hand, if at all. Do any distributors carry "un-spoilered" videos of more modern poker events? Which ones?

It might actually make for an interesting/educational party game: "Read the pros"
Old 09-04-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Current videos without table cams?

The Poker Superstars Invitational Season 1 DVD set has an option where you can turn the hole cards and commentaries off. So if you're really ambitious you can watch the pros play and try to guess what they are trying to do.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:25 PM

Really. I didn't know that option existed. I might actually have to pick that up now.

If ESPN and WPT are smart, they would do the same and expand their market. I just Tivo their episodes now and burn the ones I like to DVD from that, but if they had this option, I would probably buy some of the DVDs. Especially, the WSOP because we get to see some deep money and not just the final table.

I think the problem with the older pre-camera days is that you didn't get to see most of the hands at all. You just showed those that were showed down. If they showed the cards after the hand, I would like it more and I'm sure many players would as well. However, the general public probably would not.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Does it also turn off the related commentary?

I have looked all over the internet and don't see any option to turn off the tables cams? Where did you get this information? The lone reviewer on Amazon says he wishes this option were available which leads me to believe that this option does not exist.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it also turn off the related commentary?

I have looked all over the internet and don't see any option to turn off the tables cams? Where did you get this information? The lone reviewer on Amazon says he wishes this option were available which leads me to believe that this option does not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude...I must have read the same review when I was drunk or at like 3 in the morning...so like a dumb ass I interpreted it as a rave for an option that doesn't exist.
Stooopid me... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]