Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: 20% ITM on all Stars MTT\'s

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing any MTT, shouldn't you always aim for the top 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I don't like the change, but in my opinion the detriment has nothing to do with the buy-in level.

The biggest downside that isn't being mentioned I think is that tournaments will now take longer. Around each bubble level plays slows, even in the micros, now that such impasses occur earlier and more often, entire tournaments will take longer. (one of my favorite things about micros is that play flies by so quick early on, that the blinds aren't devastatingly large in the end game).

Though I suppose it will be a nice way to pick up some spare TLB points.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of Stars MTT's $10 and under are now at 20% payouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:59 PM

maybe send some emails to support saying you dont like the 20% and maybe they will listen
Old 11-30-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For good, aggressive players that frequently make final tables when making the money I would think this would make the tournament EV lower. For bad/passive players that frequently squeak into the money the tournament would have a greater EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly right. Miajag is incorrect.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 PM

The $50 freezeout i'm in now is 20% payout... i'm pretty sure i'd like this to stop spreading.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 AM

Has anybody with a lot of MTT records actually checked to see if this is more / less profitable for you? I think it would be pretty easy to do -- use the model Stars payout structure, modify it to find your winnings with the 20% structure, and compare to your actual winnings. It'd be interesting to check, at any rate.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 AM

I've found that the 20% seem to take shorter actually. In fact, I played an $3.30 with about 1450 that only ended up taking about 5 hours. I didn't make the final table, but when I saw that it had been almost 5 hours, I opened up the lobby expecting to see 3 or 4 tables left. There were only three players left.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For good, aggressive players that frequently make final tables when making the money I would think this would make the tournament EV lower. For bad/passive players that frequently squeak into the money the tournament would have a greater EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly right. Miajag is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are missing my point. Yes, if you continue the same exact style you use in the regular 10% tourneys your EV will decrease somewhat. I'm saying it shouldn't be difficult for a good player to adjust his style to the new structure and thus maximizing EV.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 AM

i .. don't agree. this is going to be bad for the better players. It's going to increase "bad" players EV. So where do they get this EV from? It comes from somewhere, and i dont thin kit's just a simple adjustment to get it back. The structure favors them.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Another bad part is that there's less of a bubble to dominate. Sometimes the bubble is reached before the antes kick in, so stealing what's out there then isn't as profitable.

The only good thing I see about it is that fish will make the money more, and therefore play more.