Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Flopped set, and a nightmare appears

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($53.50)
BB ($168.25)
Hero ($103.85)
MP ($28.85)
CO (villain)/ ($98.50)
Button ($61.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (villain)/ raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $6.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($22) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">villain bets $9</font>, SB calls $9, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $36</font>, villain calls $27, SB folds.

Turn: ($103) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $103

Is preflop OK? Table had been reasonably loose-passive, and not tricky postflop at all. I was pretty positive villain had KK/AA preflop, but it was worth the $4 to try and stack him. When I c/r'ed he went into the tank and into his time bank before calling. I planned on pushing the turn. Now what?

Pot is $103, I have $60 behind. Can't fold right? Should I check to keep him from folding KK and let him bet? Or should I just push and pray for AQ, AK, or KK? Villain was new to the table, but hadn't gotten frisky in the 2 or 3 orbits I'd seen.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Flopped set, and a nightmare appears

I'm going broke here, no way around it. If he has AA, good for him, and rebuy.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:30 AM

But do you prefer pushing yourself or check/calling, or irrelevant? Also, how does preflop and flop look, if you don't mind?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:33 AM

You're pot committed here. Keep his range as wide as you can, and that means check, call his push. He could well have just hit his AK/AQ as well. If he checks through, push the river.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But do you prefer pushing yourself or check/calling, or irrelevant? Also, how does preflop and flop look, if you don't mind?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pushing this turn myself 100% of the time, because you don't want AKhearts to catch up to you for free. Also, if you push, villain's getting about 3:1 to call you so you're probably getting his money anyway, so it's better to get it in there than risk giving him a free card.

Preflop, I'd just limp 88, because in early position you're probably going to play it for set value, so you'd be chopping your implied odds down considerably by raising it yourself. Calling the pf reraise is good, if you're fairly sure you can stack him.

On the flop, check raising may be a little risky, again with two hearts on the board. I'd pot the flop, and go from there. As played, the check raise looks great.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:54 AM

I think you can rule out AK and AQ. It's aces or kings. There are 6 ways to make KK and 4 ways to make AA, so three time out of two you are way ahead. But since a pair of kings is not going to call your $60 bet, you have to check and see what happens. If he puts you in for your last 60, well, I just don't know.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:01 AM

Without reading the other replies...

I don't know why you're calling this card a nightmare. I think it might be one of the best cards in the deck. With that ace out, you are behind only AA, and QQ, each which have 3 combinations for 6 total. You are ahead of KK (6), AK (12) and AQ (9) at the very least which make up 27 combinations. That's 9/11 times you're ahead if those hand ranges are accurate. Also, aside from KK, that ace just guaranteed you action from a large majority of the hands you have crushed.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

better yet, lead.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 AM

i'd check and let it look like the ace scared me....he'll either bluff with kings or bet it with aces, but I think if you lead here after checkraising that flop he folds kings.....he might bet them now though.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 AM

Im going broke here everytime. I think I check and call his push or c/r allin if he doesnt push himself.