Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Went to Showdown %...how to increase?

I know that statistics aren't the be all end all of a successful poker player, but I think that modeling stats after better players will help me improve my game. The glaring gap between my stats and others is my WSD% - 31.35% - over 33,500 hands of 10/20 6max. My Win$SD% is 55.09%

Here are some other maybe relative stats:
River AF 2.02
W$SD% when bet/raise/c-r 75.08%
W$SD% when just call 26.23%
Fold to river bet 41.03%
When fold hands - flop 7.8% turn 3.96% river 1.89%

Based on other peoples recommendations, it looks like I am folding some winners. My questions are - what types of hands should I be calling down with? Is ace-high, good kicker something I should be calling down with on a raggy board? What about low-to-medium pocket pairs on boards with 2 or more overcards (i.e. 88 on a QJxxx board)? Which scenario is more likely to be profitable - calling down with my pocket pairs on a semi-threatening board or calling down with 2nd or 3rd made pair on an Ace or King high board?

I realize that most, if not all, calldowns with weak hands are opponent dependent, but a rough strategy estimate could help me tremendously.

FYI, the recent blind stealing threads have helped me increase my blind steal rate from around 30% to 37% and I can already see the difference it makes - the difference for me was having someone outline what hands they were willing to steal with from the CO or the button. I have been following their recommendations and having good success so far, albeit over a smallish sample size.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Went to Showdown %...how to increase?

[ QUOTE ]
but I think that modeling stats after better players will help me improve my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have this backwards. You ought to improve your game, and then the stats will fall into place.

If you just want to increase your showdown %, all you have to do is call (or raise) more. But doing that for its own sake will just be spewing chips. You need to figure out what/where it is your errors lie. Correct/improve those and the stats will follow.

There are actually more than one strategy to winning play, and winners can have significantly different stats, especially if they play in very different games (ring vs short, aggressive vs passive, etc)
Old 08-11-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Went to Showdown %...how to increase?

Play a headsup tournament at pokerstars before each session. It'll really get you in the habit of looking at things from the other guy's perspective.