Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Beginning MTH v2

Let me say for starters that this is an extremely valuable program for me; moreso than pokertracker or the headsup display programs.

I have no desire at all to buy thousands of dollars worth of monitors and then have to beat my brains out moving my mouse pointer over acres of screen space to play the 14 tables that I now play with your program.

My three concerns with the current program are:

1. I am entirely dependent on Party and skins. Party is doing their best to eliminate rakeback, which is an important part of my income. Naturally I would like to see this program adopted to other sites, probably Prima, since there seem to be several lucrative bonus and rakeback schemes on Prima sites. I think it would be a waste of time to adopt the program to crypto sites since their software is so vexing in general and their new "speeded-up" games (shorter response time) would drastically reduce the number of tables we could effectively play. Pokerstars with their 5-table max would also be kind of pointless.

2. I purchased a cheap LCD monitor at Walmart and run it off my laptop for table selection (keep the games on the main screen and the lobbies and the tables window on the monitor). This works very well. However with the present program, the game tables have to be on the main screen. I would love to have the program work with the games on the auxiliary screen so that I could read email and surf the net while playing.

3. My last concern is the "multiple-car-pileup" effect already alluded to above. Literally EVERY SINGLE TIME I PLAY I experience this at least once. I laboriously load my 14 tables and get everything running smoothly for awhile, and then it starts:
(connection is very good) turns to connection is good, poor, lost, internet delays 12 seconds, 14 seconds, etc., trying to reconnect, action keys become frozen on the few tables that are still functioning, etc. This is really a nightmare, but in no way do I consider it the fault of your program; nor do I visualize any way you could alter your program to deal with this. It is either the fault on the sites or my ISP (I have a chespo dial-up connection). I'd like to know if other prople are experiencing this and if there is any cure and if it would be just as bad or worse if we were running prima sites rather than party sites.

If you'd like some money, tell us where to send it--Thanks again for a great program. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 03:48 PM

Ok, here's an idea. A lot of people here use the 2001fp too, so this will be extra nice for them.

From what I've noticed it seems that your program swaps the active table with the next table in the queue as soon as an action has been taken. I use it 8 tabling sngs right now, so for purpose of discussion, let's lable the positions as follows (with a half-assed screen diagram)

1.(5)...2.(6)
3.(7)...4.(8)

where the numbers in parantheses are behind the other numbers.

So, instead of swapping the table in position 1 with the table in position 7 when it's up, what if you rotate 7 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and so on. Assuming this would keep recent tables on the top layer of screen, it would be a lot easier to follow the action.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no desire at all to buy thousands of dollars worth of monitors and then have to beat my brains out moving my mouse pointer over acres of screen space to play the 14 tables that I now play with your program.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear ya!

[ QUOTE ]
1. I am entirely dependent on Party and skins. Party is doing their best to eliminate rakeback, which is an important part of my income. Naturally I would like to see this program adopted to other sites, probably Prima, since there seem to be several lucrative bonus and rakeback schemes on Prima sites. I think it would be a waste of time to adopt the program to crypto sites since their software is so vexing in general and their new "speeded-up" games (shorter response time) would drastically reduce the number of tables we could effectively play. Pokerstars with their 5-table max would also be kind of pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]
The initial v2 release will be Party only. I want to release the beta version asap, so i gotta stick to Party which i'm starting to know pretty well, interaction wise. The main thing about v2 though is that the internals have been _completely_ rewritten, so MTH is now 100% prepared for multiple sites, even at the same time. I expected to expand into supporting Prima, Crypto and Stars in due time.

[ QUOTE ]
2. I purchased a cheap LCD monitor at Walmart and run it off my laptop for table selection (keep the games on the main screen and the lobbies and the tables window on the monitor). This works very well. However with the present program, the game tables have to be on the main screen. I would love to have the program work with the games on the auxiliary screen so that I could read email and surf the net while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
In v2 i've made it so that you define a "play area". For instance, i'm running two 2001FP's, if i were to utilize them both totally, my play area would be from 0,0 to 3200,1200. If i were to just use one of them, it'd be from 0,0 to 1600,1200, or from 1600,0 to 3200,1200.

In this way you can totally dictate where the tables can go and where they can't go. You can furthermore set several settings defining how the windows should be placed (if at all).

[ QUOTE ]
3. My last concern is the "multiple-car-pileup" effect already alluded to above. Literally EVERY SINGLE TIME I PLAY I experience this at least once. I laboriously load my 14 tables and get everything running smoothly for awhile, and then it starts:
(connection is very good) turns to connection is good, poor, lost, internet delays 12 seconds, 14 seconds, etc., trying to reconnect, action keys become frozen on the few tables that are still functioning, etc. This is really a nightmare, but in no way do I consider it the fault of your program; nor do I visualize any way you could alter your program to deal with this. It is either the fault on the sites or my ISP (I have a chespo dial-up connection). I'd like to know if other prople are experiencing this and if there is any cure and if it would be just as bad or worse if we were running prima sites rather than party sites.

[/ QUOTE ]
As you also conclude, i can't see any way MTH shuold be the cause of this, MTH doesn't contain any network code at all that should be able to cause havoc.

[ QUOTE ]
If you'd like some money, tell us where to send it--Thanks again for a great program. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, i appreciate it very much [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But i'd prefer to wait with the donations before i've got a stable v2 up and running, i'd feel very bad about receiving donations if i were to postpone v2 for some unexpected reason.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here's an idea. A lot of people here use the 2001fp too, so this will be extra nice for them.

From what I've noticed it seems that your program swaps the active table with the next table in the queue as soon as an action has been taken. I use it 8 tabling sngs right now, so for purpose of discussion, let's lable the positions as follows (with a half-assed screen diagram)

1.(5)...2.(6)
3.(7)...4.(8)

where the numbers in parantheses are behind the other numbers.

So, instead of swapping the table in position 1 with the table in position 7 when it's up, what if you rotate 7 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and so on. Assuming this would keep recent tables on the top layer of screen, it would be a lot easier to follow the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually implemented this in v1 in the beginning. The tables would slowly move further and further away from the active table, as new tables became active - and inactive. It didn't work very well though. When multiple tables lay on top of each others, they would constantly swap places by themselves. Party activates the windows constantly at weird places, when a new hand is dealt and so forth. So it really just ended up with a lot of code resulting in no real use.

I'm thinking about somehow giving each table a unique color, and then overlaying this color on the title bar, to indicate the tables color. Then you could press the color on some kind of "taskbar", which would result in the corresponding window going to the top so you could follow the action.

Another solution i worked with involved making some API calls forcing the most recent windows to become topmost, meaning that no window could be placed on top of it. It actually worked great, until MTH crashed for some reason (which does, and will happen if we're realistic), then those tables would persist their topmost status, meaning that you suddenly had some tables that covered a lot of the screen, and no matter what, you couldn't hide them, you had to close them. Obviously that wasn't a stable solution [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you also conclude, i can't see any way MTH shuold be the cause of this, MTH doesn't contain any network code at all that should be able to cause havoc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had many of these multi car pile ups and am just figuring out what is causing them.

Here is my hypothesis:
As soon as a table sits you out for what ever reason, a query box pops to find out if you want to sit out or let you know that you are sitting out. If this goes unanswered it steals the focus from moving to the appropriate table and ends up buried, if you don't find it fast suddenly other tables are blinking and sitting you out, thus the infamous mutli-car pileup(same thing would happen with timing you out) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can experiment with it yourself by letting a table go out and not responding to it, it will soon be covered and then preventing others from coming up.

The answer would be to take the timing or timed out tables out of the process immediately so the rest can keep going and maybe put them in a seperate corner until they are safely fixed, closed, restarted, dealt with(function normally again) etc...

This may be cause your program checks each table in a circular hunt fashion for table with focus but once the hunt starts over again...

I am sure that what I'm saying is not 100% accurate as i'm not a programmer but is as close as I can figure with my pea brain [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the freezing up etc... it's probably due to the complications above in the sense that you begin trying to catch up thus pushing more buttons, switching faster, pounding the keyboard, puninshing the mouse etc.... causing your computer to go into hyperoverloadedcan'tcatchupwatchmedienow mode [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Love the program, keep up the good work, this will be a best seller soon upon release is my guess

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 09-28-2005, 06:58 PM

That might be a reason for the tables timing out suddenly, but it still shouldn't cause the connection to drop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, v2 will also feature prioritized queues. Meaning a table waiting for you to "Post blind" or "Sit out" will be pushed up in the queue, since the timeout on such an action is so much shorter than on normal actions. This in it self, should alleviate the problem somewhat.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:01 PM

My take on it: if there is a button (e.g., "I am back") present on a table, then MTH sees this as a table needing action and other tables then must wait in the que until the current table is dealt with. I think minimizing such a table may have the same affect as completing action, and so, prevent pile up. I'm not sure but I think that is what I found last time I piled.

PS - 14 tables! Wow.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 PM

what he said [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think you may be right, thanks for condensing my book like post into a small paragraph [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 09-28-2005, 07:33 PM

you're welcome. now teach me the art of 14-tabling! what level do you play? you must use a strategy of mucho tightness, no? otherwise you couldn't act fast enough, could you?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:17 AM

I believe that you are reffering to "PrincipalSkinner", I only play about 6 - 8, ABC game definately TA

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co