Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-20-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Should I play 5/10 at the Taj?

I've played 10k hands on party 1/2. I am averaging 1.5BB/100
Im no stranger to live game either. Will I hold my own at Taj 5/10?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Should I play 5/10 at the Taj?

Can you mentally/financially handle losing $500 in one session having played almost perfectly? It can happen pretty easily in a game like this. If not, then the answer to your question is no. If yes, then the answer is MAYBE. On weekends and some other nights, the 5/10 plays a lot like 1/2 on Party. That said, I've seen it other times play much tighter and more aggressive, more like Party 3/6. Not to say by ANY STRETCH it still couldn't be beaten, but rather that you might see some things you're not used to.

Oh, and a winrate over 10k hands is statistically insignificant.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 AM

Most 5/10 live games are SOFT. But you will have to learn to handle losing 200 plus on losing sessions. I have seen night games that play like nano limit games. During the day they play similar to Party 1/2(the tighter tables).
Old 12-20-2005, 02:20 AM

...only one way to find out.

Take the plunge.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 AM

I think they are soft enough where if you are comfortable at party 1/2 you will be ok. I have seen a huge variation in games though. If you get stuck in a stinker look around for a better game and don't bother asking for a table change just wait for someone to get up and dive in.

Also the Trop and Borgata 6/12 games are good alternatives and nicer places to play.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you mentally/financially handle losing $500 in one session having played almost perfectly? It can happen pretty easily in a game like this. If not, then the answer to your question is no. If yes, then the answer is MAYBE. On weekends and some other nights, the 5/10 plays a lot like 1/2 on Party. That said, I've seen it other times play much tighter and more aggressive, more like Party 3/6. Not to say by ANY STRETCH it still couldn't be beaten, but rather that you might see some things you're not used to.

Oh, and a winrate over 10k hands is statistically insignificant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible to lose 50 big bets in any limit game. I have never done it. I think it would be hard to do in the Taj 5/10. I used to play the Taj 5/10 a lot. I once won $700 in 6 hours of a wild late night game. You do have to be ready for fluctuations on live play.

Usually the Taj 5/10 is loose passive or tight passive. It is probably not the best game at its level in AC.

The low and mid limit holdem games in AC are generally a lot looser evenings and weekends. This is not necessarily true for no limit games.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 AM

From your limited info you can probably play 5-10 at the Taj. I am sure they will give you a seat if you ask for one. However, should you?

If you do, you should scout to find the best games, and be ready to switch tables, quit, or drop to a lower limit if the game you're at is too tough. 5-10 in atlantic city ranges from juicy juice to rock garden, with many inbetweens. Daytime you're far more likely to find the rock garden, so consider playing mostly at night.

Also, your bankroll should be sufficient for 5-10. I shant elaborate on that.

al
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM

I must be playing a different 5/10 then most of you guys, because in my opinion, the play at 1/2 Party is significantly better than the taj's 5/10 game, or the 6/12 at the Borgata, etc.... If you have the bankroll, and can deal with the swings (that part I agree with), then by all means play.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 AM

If you have the br, sure, why not? I have limited experience at the Taj (3/6), and I've run into some regulars who will play anything from 2/4 to 10/20. Most were pretty loose.

I've also noticed, in my limited experience, that there are a lot of older players at the Taj, who are slightly loose and generally passive postflop. My guess is they are probably break-even or mildly losing players. When they raise they've got something, and they don't seem to like playing with maniacs. I have not seen a lot of these players at the Trop or Borgata.

If you take a shot, let us know how you do and your impressions. I'm probably going to take a shot at 5/10 (or 4/8 at the Trop) next time I head to AC. Unfortunately that won't be for another month.

I would definitely be flexible and be prepared to change tables or games if it's too tight or if you get uncomfortable.

gl
Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible to lose 50 big bets in any limit game. I have never done it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is either shananigans or you're weak tight. If your raising with strong hands preflop and raising with draws and trying to extract every penny out of a table that you can then there are going to be nights where you miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss and before you know it, you've dropped 50 - 100BB.

[ QUOTE ]
I once won $700 in 6 hours of a wild late night game.

[/ QUOTE ]

we've all had HUGE nights at some level, thanks for sharing yours.

OP:
listen to what others have said about being able to handle swings. I know nothing about the game you're asking about since I've never played in it, but if you aren't mentally ready for the possibility that you could drop $500 (and obviously if it would cripple your BR) then you shouldn't play there.
I don't agree with Al's comment that you should be "properly" BRd for it though. For those of us that grind on-line low limits, playing a little out of our BR at a beatable live game is a nice change and a good way to "take a shot." Al has much much much more experience than I do, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Best of luck to you sir!
FishNChips