Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Greatest Video Game... nominations first...

No, it's because Counterstrike isn't even close to being as revolutionary as the game that started it all.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM

yeah, cool, just figured you'd get ripped on for it.

good choices though, FF7 is top 5 for me all time.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM

Perfect Dark.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 PM

it didnt start it all. I said that. It made it better, but it didnt start it all.

so if you wanna say that doom took the fps and brought it to a new level, thats exactly what CS did. It took the FPS, and brought an unheard of level of reality to it. Oh yeah, and it damn-near solely started the online revolution, and gave gamers complete control over how the game played.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you disagree, it is likely because either you're over-nostalgic about doom, or you haven't spent time on cs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be the first to admit this is my reason for mentioning Doom in my post is nostalgia. I never spent much time with CS, nor with the Quake series of games. Doom will always have a special place in my heart. And personally I really liked Doom 3. I haven't yet tried HL2 out, but I really ought to, eh?

Swede
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM

Yes it did start it all, for the reasons I noted. Wolfenstein wasn't nearly as immersive. Moving around in 3d is one thing, but that doesn't make it an immersive world.

If it did, we'd have to include things like SPECTRE.

You are wildly exaggerating CS's novelty. People were going online in droves long before CS. I did it all the time in Doom and Doom 2 and Descent and Warcraft 2 and Comand and Conquer ... hell, name it. Started the online revolution? What the hell?

You may love what CS did to bring FPS's to "a new level," but that level is a damn tiny leap compared to the difference between a game feeling like a game and a game feeling like a real world. Being happy for incremental changes is all well and good, but you can't compare that to fundamental changes.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:17 PM

could you move your crosshair up and down in doom? could you find literally hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people to play against? do hundreds of thousands of people still play doom online?

Im sorry, but I guess Im just not seeing it. Maybe because when I played wolfenstein I was so young that it felt different or something, I dunno. I still throw the tie to them just because the current game market and industry are so completely and utterly effected by the changes wrought by CS.

edit: I would say that cs brought the "immersion and believability threshold" up from earlier games just as much as doom did.

i.e. the freaking physics engine. Doom didnt have one really, and CS did, there you go, there's your revolution.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:18 PM

Halo 1 (xbox)
Shining Force 2 (Sega Genesis)

edit: all the people who nominate halo 2 make me sick
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do hundreds of thousands of people still play doom online?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is indicative of the quality of your understanding of this matter, I'm afraid.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:25 PM

haha, the quality of my understanding of the matter goes far beyond that statement, but I see you have pulled out the only part of my post you can box with.

mind answering my other questions? The reason I asked that is because you claimed that CS didnt revolutionize online play.

So, have a real reposte?