Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Dealer keeps showing people my cards

If you need to shoot angles to have an advantage, maybe you should look at improving your game.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I found something that would tilt the potentially strongest player at the table, I'd do it in a second if it were legal.

I understand the reasoning behind the original rule... but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still a rule and the reasoning behind wanting to see someone's cards is immaterial. If the floor wants to make it seem like the rule is ONLY for cheating, I will simply say "something doesnt seem right about his play".

Bonus points, because that will tilt half the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule is that you have the "privilege" to see a called hand at showdown. Operative word is privilege. Most of the rule books I have seen are worded this way and that privilege may be revoked for abuse.

My favorite story regarding this was pulled off by a friend of mine who executed the greatest slowroll ever. An old man was asking to see every hand at the river. After asking to see my friend's hand multiple times he was fed up with this guy.

A hand came up where he made the nuts on the river and just smooth called the old mans bet. The old man showed his hand and my friend declared "nice hand" and placed his cards face down in front of him. The dealer began swiping them in when sure enough true to form the old man said "I want to see that hand" Blam over comes the nuts, the pot gets reawarded, old man freaks out, and never asks to see a hand again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That takes balls that I do not have...

Props to your friend...

-Gryph
Old 11-07-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I found something that would tilt the potentially strongest player at the table, I'd do it in a second if it were legal.

I understand the reasoning behind the original rule... but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still a rule and the reasoning behind wanting to see someone's cards is immaterial. If the floor wants to make it seem like the rule is ONLY for cheating, I will simply say "something doesnt seem right about his play".

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule is that you have the "privilege" to see a called hand at showdown. Operative word is privilege. Most of the rule books I have seen are worded this way and that privilege may be revoked for abuse.

My favorite story regarding this was pulled off by a friend of mine who executed the greatest slowroll ever. An old man was asking to see every hand at the river. After asking to see my friend's hand multiple times he was fed up with this guy.

A hand came up where he made the nuts on the river and just smooth called the old mans bet. The old man showed his hand and my friend declared "nice hand" and placed his cards face down in front of him. The dealer began swiping them in when sure enough true to form the old man said "I want to see that hand" Blam over comes the nuts, the pot gets reawarded, old man freaks out, and never asks to see a hand again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're friend is my hero. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But seriously - if it bothers people, its an advantage for me. I dont care if someone wants to see my mucked cards. I can count on my fingers the number of times that I havent showed them. But any advantage I can get is great. Its the same thing with someone like Matasow (sp?) talking so much crap... it bothers people... and takes them off their game.

I just cant talk smack like he can.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you can't count on the floor to give you the pot in this instance. I have seen floor people rule this hand is dead. Yes I agree that the hand should be live here, but unless I am the floorperson my opinion doesn't much matter.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Tommy Angelo on \"I Want To See That Hand\"

Some of you guys might want to read esteemed 2+2 poster Tommy Angelo's thoughts on the "I Want to See That Hand" rule.. We also had at least one long thread on this a few years back but who has the time to search for it?

~ Rick
Old 11-07-2005, 02:41 PM

LOL what about when the dealer properly taps the cards to the muck first (killing them), then turns them over?

When someone asks to see your cards, you show your cards. You don't get mad. You don't look at them. You play on.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Tommy Angelo on \"I Want To See That Hand\"

One solution that some rooms are going to is the "Only Players Involved in a Showdown Can ask to see a hand" rule. PErsonally i think this rule is worse than the older general rule.

There are two problems with this rule.

1) If the purpose of the rule is to detect collusion, why should only a player who pays off the last bets be allowed to detect collusion. If you really think there is cheating going on you shouldn't have to pay the cheaters to get the evidence.

2) It feeds the "I paid for the information" mentality that leads to abuse.

The rule I advocate is this --- No player gets to see a mucked hand (of course show one show all still applies). but if a player suspects collusion the hand is held aside for inspection by the floorperson who may reveal the contents of the hand if he deems it appropriate. This rule could apply at any time in the hand, not just show down -- so a player mucking their hand to a bet could still be subject to inspection.

I think this would greatly cut down on the number of requests.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:22 PM

I like this idea. You have to be sure to do it against the person who keeps asking to see your hand, and make sure your cards DONT hit the muck when you fold.

A safer alternative would be to motion like you are going to muck then ask "I suppose you want to see this hand too?" - even if she says nothing or says no, you still get to slow-roll.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:24 PM

In most rooms if the winner of the pot is the one who asks to see your cards, your hand is live.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Be a dick.

1. Use the IWTSTH rule on him mercilessly
2. Slowroll as much as possible, as badly as possible
3. Laugh at him when he loses, even when you're not in the hand