Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Kings not strong in loose Stud/8 games

[ QUOTE ]
In loose stud8 games a good rule to remember is NEVER GO HIGH. Its really that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about aces? I usually complete with those, particularly in early position or if I have a low card.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 AM

I guess this was kind of basic. Sometimes I feel pretty funny when there will be a bring in and 2 limpers and someone will complete with a jack showing and I will fold split kings. I know the books say kings don't play well 3-way. So I guess they definately don't play well 5-way. I find I tend to lose with high hands in these kinds of games.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this was kind of basic. Sometimes I feel pretty funny when there will be a bring in and 2 limpers and someone will complete with a jack showing and I will fold split kings. I know the books say kings don't play well 3-way. So I guess they definately don't play well 5-way. I find I tend to lose with high hands in these kinds of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my cards are live, I would probably reraise this.

I usually play 10/20 half kill, but its relatively loose. Usually though you will get rid of the bring in and one of the limpers.

Playing a pot against a worse high hand and one low hand is a good situation.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 PM

I don't know, I mean, some people would tell you not to play when you've got an equity edge and there's extra money in the pot.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I mean, some people would tell you not to play when you've got an equity edge and there's extra money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to sound cocky here, it's just that I feel people are oversimplifying the situation because they're afraid to get into tough situations.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to sound cocky here, it's just that I feel people are oversimplifying the situation because they're afraid to get into tough situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think its good to hear. There was a similar thread awhile back about playing Kings early in a SNG.

Earlier in the thread, betgo gave an example where there were 2 limpers and a jack completed. I think automatically folding there is wrong even in the loosest of games. Think your hand may be more playable now because you can leverage off that raise with a reraise and hopefully get a low hand to fold.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier in the thread, betgo gave an example where there were 2 limpers and a jack completed. I think automatically folding there is wrong even in the loosest of games. Think your hand may be more playable now because you can leverage off that raise with a reraise and hopefully get a low hand to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that was the best example, but there is no way I am folding 3 unpaired low cards against a complete by a jack and a reraise by a king. That is almost an ideal situation for a low hand.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that was the best example, but there is no way I am folding 3 unpaired low cards against a complete by a jack and a reraise by a king. That is almost an ideal situation for a low hand.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, but many limpers coming in with something like (55)4 will now have to fold. you might even get one of the razz lows to fold too.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you're missing a couple exceptions there, brother.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, to be fair I was. Trips are always worth playing as are 2 aces with a baby. However things like aces with a high card really aren't as good as many people think. Remember, we're assuming a loose game, people typically aren't folding 3rd for any number of raises.