Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Should I get my Dream Car?

I really like the new mustang. Didn't realize they were $30k.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like the new mustang. Didn't realize they were $30k.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems insanely cheap over here that would be the same as an average family car a Ford Mondeo (not sure you have them) or a very basic 3 series BMW (old shape). There are meant to be plans to bring the mustang over here be interesting to see how it does cos I suspect the costs will be much higher here.

My annual insurance is in the region of $2,200 annually which goes to show how screwed the exchange rate is as well as how much more we pay over here for stuff.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:32 PM

Gimmick account over. Since your "dream car" is anything other than a red 1986 VW Cabriolet it's obvious that you're not gay.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:46 PM

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 411 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper Edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some [censored]' muscle.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never learned to drive a stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend learning to drive stick before going all-out on your dream car. Once you get good at it, you'll appreciate the car much more with a stickshift - you're just so much more in tune with the car.

I would recommend getting a cheap stickshift that's reasonably fun to drive but sort of a beater. Start saving money and learn how to drive it for all its worth. By then, if you are still crazy for that Mustang, it'll be easier to find a slightly used one, you'll be able to put down more of the payment upfront, and you'll appreciate it much more.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have never learned to drive a stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend learning to drive stick before going all-out on your dream car. Once you get good at it, you'll appreciate the car much more with a stickshift - you're just so much more in tune with the car.

I would recommend getting a cheap stickshift that's reasonably fun to drive but sort of a beater. Start saving money and learn how to drive it for all its worth. By then, if you are still crazy for that Mustang, it'll be easier to find a slightly used one, you'll be able to put down more of the payment upfront, and you'll appreciate it much more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Yes. Yes. Do this.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Get the car.

Don't worry about buying it new and driving right through the value of it — if you plan on keeping the car for a reasonable amount of time (say 5 years) then you'll be just fine. You're not buying it as an investment anyway, but you won't screw yourself if keep the car a few years after the loan is paid.

Get the stick. It'll be worth it. Unless you live on a steep incline or drive in heavy traffic on a daily basis. If so, never get a stick. Also, it could obviously be a limiting factor if you end up with medical limitations as a result of your accident. Good luck.

Black? Not that cool.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 30 and my father died at 60, I would hate to think that half my life is over at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[joke]

That's just because he found out that his son was gay.

[/joke]

~D
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Solution to the Problem

I have the solution.

When I am able to drive again, I will rent a Ford Mustang for the weekend and then I can decide if this is Something that I absolutely can not live with out.

Chances are it will be something that I can in fact do without.

Steve