Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM

Default FT $22: HU Even Stacks with 77, Induced a Raise, Now What?

FT $22 HU, villain came in with 9000 to 3000 or so chip lead, played aggressively on bubble and as big stack, I doubled up AA v. KK to even it up and we have traded a few blinds.

Hero (sb/button) 6500
Villain (bb) 7000

Blinds 150/300

Dealt to Hero (7h 7d)

I limped in with 77 hoping to induce a raise. The aggressive villain has obliged and popped it to 900. It was only then I realized that I had no idea why I wanted him to raise it. I didn't know whether just call and take a flop in position, raise all in, or reraise some other amount (although I don't think we were deep enough for a non all-in raise). What do you think is the best play there?

If I push, there are probably a lot of hands villain mucks and I steal the 900. I most likely am racing if called, with a slightly higher chance that I'm dominated by overpair than am called by under pair.

If I take a flop and call, there are a lot of flops that I am comfortable pushing into and occasionally on these flops villain will make a continuation bet before me (and not just set flops, also flops with only one card 10 or higher are not scary). However, there are a lot of flops that I will feel very uncomfortable on and will almost have to fold to on a continuation bet.

Any opinions? Maybe this is not that interesting of a hand, but I just thought I should seek advice when I realized that although I wanted villain to raise when I limped in, I didn't know why or what to do when villain complied. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: FT $22: HU Even Stacks with 77, Induced a Raise, Now What?

My very very limited HU experience tells me to push since the stacks are not deep enough to play real post flop poker. You'll have a 7900 to 5600 lead which will be nice.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: FT $22: HU Even Stacks with 77, Induced a Raise, Now What?

I push. Short stack is >20 BBs, so there's room to play some poker here. That said, it doesn't make sense to call and even think about folding to villian's possible continuation bet. Push and put villian to a decision. I'd be happy with either a fold or a call.

The Shadow