Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-10-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Curtains, day two: Hand #2

Is the 'check behind' turn an attempt to let villian bluff the river?

Or is our hero here fearing a check-raise?

Deciding to bet behind on the river would indicate it was the former. But if this is true, is his hand strong enough to give the river?

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 6: ( $895 )
Seat 7: ( $970 )
Seat 8: ( $955 )
curtains ( $1280 )
Seat 10: ( $1145 )
Seat 1: ( $1025 )
Seat 2: ( $1080 )
Seat 3: ( $825 )
Seat 4: ( $1090 ) SB
Seat 5: ( $735 ) BB
Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to curtains [ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Seat 6 calls [15].
2 folds
curtains calls [15].
3 folds
Seat 3 calls [15].
1 fold
Seat 5 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Seat 5 checks.
Seat 6 checks.
curtains bets [60].
Seat 3 folds.
Seat 5 folds.
Seat 6 calls [60].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9s ]
Seat 6 checks.
curtains checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 4h ]
Seat 6 checks.
curtains bets [150].
Seat 6 calls [150].

Old 12-10-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Curtains, day two: Hand #2

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's probably pretty standard WA/WB. The flop was rainbow and relatively uncoordinated, so any draws that the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] helps out are relatively unlikely to still be around, and thus the opponent is usually drawing to five outs tops if behind. So yes, you're basically trying to induce a bet on the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:43 AM

River seems like a value bet after villian showed so much weakness. It almost seemed like a commitment on hero's part to not get too involved with his AQ early on.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 AM

ah ha, as much as cutains talks about the average player being a donkey, this play suggests otherwise. Against a decent player I would check behind on the turn, against a donkey I would bet it. A good player is folding almost everything that you have beat to a strong turn bet. Meanwhile, checking behind on the turn and betting the river looks very much like a bluff and will get called by a wider hand range. Furthermore he controls the pot size by checking behind on the turn (he will only have to call as single bet river bet if villain gets aggressve), protects himself from getting bluffed off of a superior hand on the turn, and has a chance of inducing a bluff on the river. Of course, my general line is to just bet the turn because many players make stupid calls in the early rounds, and later rounds for that matter.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 AM

lone pair hands like small pots early
Old 12-10-2005, 02:03 AM

I don't like giving free cards...but then again, I play on the 800 chippers.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:25 AM

I like to keep the pots small with such hands on such coordinated boards...its possible that betting the turn is superior. NewtBuggs comments make sense. Anyway I'll leave it at that for now, I typed some explanation but it was incoherent.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ah ha, as much as curtains talks about the average player being a donkey, this play suggests otherwise. Against a decent player I would check behind on the turn, against a donkey I would bet it. A good player is folding almost everything that you have beat to a strong turn bet. Meanwhile, checking behind on the turn and betting the river looks very much like a bluff and will get called by a wider hand range. Furthermore he controls the pot size by checking behind on the turn (he will only have to call as single bet river bet if villain gets aggressive), protects himself from getting bluffed off of a superior hand on the turn, and has a chance of inducing a bluff on the river. Of course, my general line is to just bet the turn because many players make stupid calls in the early rounds, and later rounds for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 12-10-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or is our hero here fearing a check-raise?

Deciding to bet behind on the river would indicate it was the former. But if this is true, is his hand strong enough to give the river?

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 6: ( $895 )
Seat 7: ( $970 )
Seat 8: ( $955 )
curtains ( $1280 )
Seat 10: ( $1145 )
Seat 1: ( $1025 )
Seat 2: ( $1080 )
Seat 3: ( $825 )
Seat 4: ( $1090 ) SB
Seat 5: ( $735 ) BB
Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to curtains [ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Seat 6 calls [15].
2 folds
curtains calls [15].
3 folds
Seat 3 calls [15].
1 fold
Seat 5 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Seat 5 checks.
Seat 6 checks.
curtains bets [60].
Seat 3 folds.
Seat 5 folds.
Seat 6 calls [60].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9s ]
Seat 6 checks.
curtains checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 4h ]
Seat 6 checks.
curtains bets [150].
Seat 6 calls [150].

[/ QUOTE ]

v v standard

last thing you want is a monster pot here, by checking behind he forces a better hand to make a smallish bet which he most likely has to call (on the river) and gives a worse hand an opportunity to try and buy the pot
Old 12-13-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to keep the pots small with such hands on such coordinated boards...its possible that betting the turn is superior. NewtBuggs comments make sense. Anyway I'll leave it at that for now, I typed some explanation but it was incoherent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I want to see some explanation if possible. This is the kind of hand that I would post and you'd reply "This is just ridiculous. They're morons and will call with anything so just bet the turn." So I'm curious as to why you play it this way here.