Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Best way to stack chips...

[ QUOTE ]
In a no limit game, don't stack. Just keep them all in a big, disorganized pile in front of you. When you want to raise, grab a handful and throw it out, saying, "How much is that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my favorite
Old 12-16-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy into the Foxwoods 2/4 game with about 4 racks of white. Stacks of 20 into a pyramid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Improved your post.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...without looking like a moron or taking 5 minutes? Internet doesn' teach that. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a NL, PL or spread limit game, most rooms will have a "requirement" that you stack you chips in a manner that other players can count visually how much you have. At lower limits this is rarely enforced, but the higher you go the more you will see it enforced. Most will not let you hide high value chips in the stacks either, but it is a good idea if you get up for a break. It is pretty easy for a 500, 1000, or 5000 chip to slip into someones pocket.

In a limit game, it really doesn't matter, just do what you want without it slowing down the game. Some and I tend to agree feel that stacking your chips in a limit game in a manner that is not easily counted, especially by yourself, is a good thing. It can keep that ol' "I'm stuck and have to get it back" thought from creeping into your head, which is +EV.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NEVER MAKE STACKS LESS THAN 20, sure sign you are a newbie

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you think so. Are there many more like you?

I usually make stacks of 10 or 15, since I'm a bit of a clutz and it's embarassing to knock over your stacks.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:44 AM

I used to do stacks of 20, but I tended to pay too much attention to how much up or down I was when I could easily count my stack (I play limit, so clean stacks are non-important).

Now, as soon as I sit down I stack my buyin into an odd number of stacks of some random height. After a while, I have no real idea of how much I have.

At some point, out of boredom, I usually restack to "The Spiral". I have one tall stack in the center, then a spiral staircase of stacks around it, with the smallest in front and each stack an equal number of chips taller than the one before it.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:41 AM

Yes, anyone who stacks less than 20 immediately goes on my mental newbie/donk list depending on their play. It just looks so pathetic.

ZZzzZZzz
Old 12-17-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a no limit game, don't stack. Just keep them all in a big, disorganized pile in front of you. When you want to raise, grab a handful and throw it out, saying, "How much is that?"

Yes, I'm kidding, but if they'd let you get away with that I bet it would be an effective way to fake being a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play with a guy who used a technique very similar to that. He would just randomly grab a some/all of a stack of some chips and say....this much!

We'd be like...'you know thats X amount right?' 'it is? oh...' So we'd call and then he'd table the nuts.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:15 PM

Make the design of a smiley face and then start yelling "quit staring at me!" at your chip stack. Talk about getting some respect!

This works best if you order "A Warm Vodka with a raw egg in it" as your first drink.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...stacking your chips in a limit game in a manner that is not easily counted, especially by yourself, is a good thing. It can keep that ol' "I'm stuck and have to get it back" thought from creeping into your head, which is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, this works. When I sit down, I (not always, but often) make about four unequal towers of chips. When I rake pots, I put chips in the various stacks until they get too tall, then I start another stack. Not knowing how much you have in front of you (if you're prone to this kind of "get it back" mentality) can help you play your hands without thinking about your money. I guess it's sort of like a live Tiltblocker.

If I'm playing in a smaller game where losing a buyin or two won't mess up my mind, I just go ahead and use the standard pyramid of 20-chip stacks.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:45 PM

All right...chalk me up as impressed.

Normally I like stacks of 10-15 myself; I'm too clumsy to use stacks of 20s.