Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: It\'s heads up... I raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet

thanks for the nice words...and as for picking an easy hand to work my way back with...eff that, being wrong is better than being right...

my problem is still that since villain is a first level thinker, he is only saying "look what i have in my hand"...

he limps in late position, but based on your stats he is not a total anything plays kind of guy, so he probably has some kind of hand whether it be good or only marginal, it probably isn't some piece of [censored]...

on the flop he donks, this board? wtf??? he knows that you raised preflop and even if he isn't really puttin you on a hand he still knows this...he is saying "hey, i like my hand, lets put in some bets"...he could have an overpair, trips, top pair, maybe even a flush draw...we have an overpair so we call (i still dig a raise here, but whatever)...

on the turn our first level villain sees a K, but hes still betting? most loose/passive players are checking this to a preflop raiser even if they aren't actively trying to put you on a hand...most will say "big card...preflop raiser...call, call, call, call, call"...i think that this is a place where if you think that putting two more bets into the pot is the best idea then one should go in on the turn and one on the river...show this hand down if you want to put in two bets...while its true that you can definitely fold to a 3bet, are you really gonna be ahead often if villain calls the raise and calls a river bet? or would you take a free showdown?

do you think he will bet the river with a hand that you beat if you just call the turn? will he check/call the river with a hand you beat (something like 77/A4)?

bleh, poker is hard...tear me a new one if im being retarded [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I felt that by not raising the flop I may have encouraged him to lead the turn (remember, I viewed him as a first level thinker) with his flush draw or underpair and that I would be folding the best hand. So, in order to be certain that I was not folding the best hand, I raised the turn, got re-raised and folded, certain that I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are thinking this, why not just call the turn and call the river? You're still paying 2 bets, same as if you raise the turn, plus there's a chance (however small) you win the pot at showdown.

If you call the turn/river and lose, you lose two bets which is the same as folding to a 3-bet.

If you call the turn/river and win, you win 2 bets.

If you raise the turn and he folds, you win 1 bet.

If you raise the turn and he calls, then calls the river and you win, you win 3 bets.

If you raise the turn and he calls, then calls the river and you lose, you lose 2 bets.

Explain to me why, if you're afraid of folding the best hand on the turn, it's not better to call/call than raise/fold. With call/call you cannot fold the best hand.

Is it just a matter of how often he will fold a hand that beats you, either to the raise or a turn bet?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I felt that by not raising the flop I may have encouraged him to lead the turn (remember, I viewed him as a first level thinker) with his flush draw or underpair and that I would be folding the best hand. So, in order to be certain that I was not folding the best hand, I raised the turn, got re-raised and folded, certain that I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are thinking this, why not just call the turn and call the river? Explain to me why, if you're afraid of folding the best hand on the turn, it's not better to call/call than raise/fold. With call/call you cannot fold the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I think I played it wrong and should have folded to the initial turn bet. As played I think was 2nd best.

The turn call down line I think may be least beneficial because when I'm ahead I win 1 or 2 bets and when I'm behind I lose 2 bets.

By raising the turn, when ahead, I win 1,2 or 3 BB while at the same time charging villain if he is on a flush draw.

But, again, I do think, as Thirddan has pointed out that the pot was small enough that I should have let it go immediately on the turn.

I suck at these type hands!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But, again, I do think, as Thirddan has pointed out that the pot was small enough that I should have let it go immediately on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the numbers you listed and the action thus far, I think folding to the initial turn bet would have been a disaster.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the numbers you listed and the action thus far, I think folding to the initial turn bet would have been a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn... just when I thought I had it!

OK... How do you proceed after Villain leads the turn?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Damn... just when I thought I had it!

OK... How do you proceed after Villain leads the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't like folding to the turn bet is that villain's play is very much in line with a pocket pair 33-88. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a heart draw or A2 or A4, maybe even just something like JT (perhaps you had been isoraising him a lot and he got annoyed by it?).

I've thought about this hand a good bit, and the best conclusion that I can reach is to play it the same as yours. The K is really a good card for us, it makes sense for us to hold it (to villian) and I think if we get threebet here on the turn we are good basically never.

Close behind in terms of EV I think is calling the turn and calling the river UI, betting if checked to. This line allows us to showdown our hand for the same price, but gets less value out of hands that would have paid off a turn raise and river bet. And this villian seems like the kind to do just that (I would doublecheck his WTSD although with those preflop stats it's most likely high).

Of course if he's the kind of player to semibluff the big streets hard, or to go to war in a HU pot OOP with a flush draw, I like raising the flop. This will get us threebet sometimes, which we can call down, and sometimes he will checkraise us on the turn which we can call down. But from the stats you provided he doesn't seem like that kind of player.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The K is really a good card for us, it makes sense for us to hold it (to villian) and I think if we get threebet here on the turn we are good basically never.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course if he's the kind of player to semibluff the big streets hard, or to go to war in a HU pot OOP with a flush draw, I like raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way he's like this. See initial read.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way he's like this. See initial read.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then IMO you played it perfectly.

Your initial read was "very clueless." I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. Given his preflop numbers he seems loosepassive, but yeah.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:36 PM

"Pretty clueless" doesn't tell us nearly enough about him to move forward.

In general I think I like just raising the flop and moving on from there.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Pretty clueless" doesn't tell us nearly enough about him to move forward.

In general I think I like just raising the flop and moving on from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be precise, I said the following as to the reads on Villain....

"I had great position against Villain who was pretty clueless (worse than his numbers). Villain is 28/1.8/1.63 over only 80 hands"

and

"All fold to Villain who open limps from the CO (say no more)"