Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Are exposed cards dead?

I was playing at Canterbury a couple of nights ago and the following happened. Super nice Greek guy sitting next to me bets the river with KT and a board of JQKAx. The next player raises and all fold back to the Greek. He turns his cards over and looks at the board while deciding whether to call the raise. The dealer then grabs his cards and pushes the pot to the raiser. They both had KT and they would have split the pot.

The Greek of course goes ballistic saying he didn't fold. The floor manager agrees with the dealer saying his hand was dead. The Greek then asks the floor manager to review the tape and they still say his hand was dead. Is this right?

The poor bastard proceeded to steam off about $200. I tried to get him to calm down and even suggested we take a walk but he wouldn't listen.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Are exposed cards dead?

Apparently at Canterbury they are. What the rules are at Foxwoods, Tunica, Bellagio, Comerce, or Bay101 do not apply.
Each club can, and does, make up their own rules for such cases.

Hopefully the rules are written down so you can see if the dealer and floor were right.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently at Canterbury they are. What the rules are at Foxwoods, Tunica, Bellagio, Comerce, or Bay101 do not apply.
Each club can, and does, make up their own rules for such cases.

Hopefully the rules are written down so you can see if the dealer and floor were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no [censored] idea how many people flashed their cards at bay 101 yesterday. they really really need to change this rule. i think exposed cards should be killed immediately.

rj
Old 07-28-2005, 08:11 PM

Like the last reply, every cardroom has it's own sepperate set of rules. In Tunica the hand would be live. There is no situation where an exposed hand would be dead. In a tourniment the player may be subject to a penalty but in a live game the hand would play.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Just looked at the rules on Canterbury's site. There is no rule there that exposed cards are dead. Here is the only rule that applies:
a. Canterbury Card Club management reserves the right to make decisions in the best interest of the game and in the spirit of fairness to all players, even if a technical interpretation of the rules may dictate a contrary decision.
b. The decisions of management are final.

With that said I don't think the floor at Canterbury would consistently rule like it did. I know from experience that if I accidently expose one of my hole cards during the course of a hand that they did not kill my hand. Seems like a strage call to me if it was headsup at the river.

I think I know the greek guy you are talking about and don't wory he would have spewed that 200 by night's end anyway.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:00 PM

at canterbury exposed cards arent dead.